Blank Desktop Win 10 Build 10158

Reaction score
I've just upgraded 10 Build 10158 (from 10130) and the desktop on my main login is blank. There are no icons. I cannot make any new icon appear(i.e. if I create a new notepad file I cannot see it).

I can view the content of the desktop via file explorer.

I have had this problem for approx 1 week - since 10130 (one day I booted and the desktop was blank). I thought the next build may fix this bug.

My tool bar and start menu are 100% working. I can open various windows over the desktop (like a browser, word, a PDF etc....) but there are no visible icons.

If I log into my Wifes desktop, everything including the desktop works 100%.

Can anyone help

See attached JPEG

Thanks

James

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,661
Reaction score
Don't know if this will help, but it almost seems like you have a black theme picture. So, as a suggestion if you can go into settings/personalization and see what you have set there.

Reaction score
Don't know if this will help, but it almost seems like you have a black theme picture. So, as a suggestion if you can go into settings/personalization and see what you have set there.

I've tried setting a different theme, but it doesn't help. I do get a nice wall paper, but that is all.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This may sound kinda dumb but....
Try right clicking any blank area of the desktop and from the right click context menu choose "View" and make sure there is a check next to "Show desktop icons".

Reaction score
This may sound kinda dumb but....
Try right clicking any blank area of the desktop and from the right click context menu choose "View" and make sure there is a check next to "Show desktop icons".

OMG, that worked! I like simple solutions.

Thank you!

:)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to have helped.
You'd be surprised how often I run into that.

Reaction score
This actually didn't work for me. When I try to access the files on my desktop it says still working on it. And never loads. Sometimes when I restart it's fine and they show up. But a lot of times they aren't there when I start the computer

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This actually didn't work for me. When I try to access the files on my desktop it says still working on it. And never loads. Sometimes when I restart it's fine and they show up. But a lot of times they aren't there when I start the computer
How long has the been going on?
Was it present before Windows 10?
When was the last time you manually defragged the hard disk?

Reaction score
It's a brand new computer. And I really only ever had windows 10 on it. There's barely anything on the hard drive

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If it came with Windows 10 pre-installed, then you might want to consider taking it back to the place of purchase.
A "brand new computer" should not be presenting problems already.
Although they do very often come with a lot of "bloatware" out of the box, which combined with less than high-end specs can often result in an over all, less than satisfactory user experience.

Ask a Question