SOLVED Blue screen of nothing

Reaction score
OK so, I have a blue screen with nothing on it.

I just got a new computer, tried setting it up today started it and started to go through windows setup.

I entered in information, and it asked for windows 10 product key, which I couldn't find for the moment. I noticed the "skip this step" button and clicked it without much thought, now I'm stuck on an empty blue screen and it's been this way for over an hour.

I since found the product key and I can't get back to anything. It's stuck period.

I've tried turning it off and on again.

So. Any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Choosing "Skip" and or "I don't have a product key" are both perfectly legitimate choices to get the setup to continue.
A product key can be added at any time later after the Operating System is up and running.
My only suggestion is to let it run.
Depending on the horsepower of the machine, it can take quite a while to complete.
Does the computer have a hard disk drive activity light?
IF so, do you observe it flashing, indicating that there is something actually going on, even though you may not be able to see it on your monitor.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Choosing "Skip" and or "I don't have a product key" are both perfectly legitimate choices to get the setup to continue.
A product key can be added at any time later after the Operating System is up and running.
My only suggestion is to let it run.
Depending on the horsepower of the machine, it can take quite a while to complete.
Does the computer have a hard disk drive activity light?
IF so, do you observe it flashing, indicating that there is something actually going on, even though you may not be able to see it on your monitor.

I understand that it could take a while, but wouldn't there be a loading screen and not just a blue screen of nothingness? I do see a hard disk drive light, and it is flashing. I just don't think it would take over an hour with literally nothing on the screen except my mouse

Update: 2 hours pass, everything is still the same.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update: waking up 5 1/2 hours later, same blue screen. No light from the hard disk drive. Try restarting a couple times, I got back to the basic setup screen. I enter in my product key this time and I still get sent to a blue screen. No light from the hard disk drive.

Reaction score
Update 3: After pressing every button known to man on the keyboard; I actually found out the problem, BUT there's still an issue-

So this blue screen I'm on actually is the login screen. Now when it says "please wait" with the rotating circles, it's in the center of my screen.

But I guess what a going on is the computer thinks my monitor is smaller than what it is? I'm not sure yet, and it has a small, I mean SMALL, area at the top of the screen where I can see some of the way to log in. It's asking for my windows email and password, but once I enter that it goes to the next screen which I cannot read for it doesn't give me a scroll bar or anything, like I can see the top half, not well mind you, and not the bottom. I'd add a picture but the site won't let me upload one.

Reaction score
Update 4: after using my good friend, the tab button, I was able to get through the setup, and login shit. Now I'm at a good regular desktop. Whatever caused this? I'd like to know to be honest but my problem is now solved.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for all the follow-up information detail.
Glad you managed to figure out a way to get through it.
AS to what might have caused it.... I can only guess that it was having some trouble updating the driver for the video card
OR
As you seem to suspect... the resolution setting prior to the upgrade was not one that was not supported after the upgrade and it was having some trouble handling that.

Ask a Question