Bluetooth devices won't connect

Reaction score
I am having problems connecting devices to Bluetooth using Windows 10.

The motherboard is a ASUS Z270E with built in Bluetooth which is turned on in the BIOS and Windows has all the latest updates.

The Bluetooth detects ALL devices I have tried:

- Bluetooth Soundbar
- Samsung Galaxy S5 & TAB S2
- Microsoft Wireless Controller

But when I click connect it says connecting for around 1 minute before giving the message - "Couldn't connect. Try connecting again."

I have tried all the Windows 10 Bluetooth fixes when searching Google. e.g. Turning Bluetooth and devices on and off, Uninstalling drivers and reinstalling etc ....

I originally thought it was a motherboard problem. So contacted ASUS where they said to update the drivers to the latest ... which I did but still the same problem.

So I found an old Bluetooth dongle I had with my old PC and installed that but still the same problem. Finally bought a brand new dongle and that arrived the other day. Installed that but the problem still persists.

Any ideas what's going on?

Reaction score
Different devices behave different ways with Bluetooth. Sometimes different processes are required to get a device connected. Since you have tried external Bluetooth dongles, it would point to your devices having a problem.

Edit: That motherboard probably has an external antenna for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, it is connected and line of sight to the devices?

On my system, once a device is already paired with the computer, all I have to do is enable its power. On some devices that means flipping a switch but on others it means holding the button for a few seconds until you hear tones. Once that is done, the computer should connect automatically.

So, look at the Settings - Devices - Bluetooth page. Does the Bluetooth show ON and your device is listed and shows paired when selected? If it does, what happens when you enable the power on the device, the can't connect message?

If it doesn't connect, then the first thing to try is to remove the device. Then repair it and see if it will connect. You now probably have a Bluetooth 4.1 or 4.2 radio. If you are running devices which are 3.0 or such it may take a different procedure to get the to connect, which means repairing and connecting at the same time.

A few years ago I rarely used any Bluetooth devices because they were not reliable and I had problems similar to what you are seeing. The newer systems seem to be much more stable and will connect, normally, with just the push and hold of a button.

Reaction score
Different devices behave different ways with Bluetooth. Sometimes different processes are required to get a device connected. Since you have tried external Bluetooth dongles, it would point to your devices having a problem.

Edit: That motherboard probably has an external antenna for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, it is connected and line of sight to the devices?

On my system, once a device is already paired with the computer, all I have to do is enable its power. On some devices that means flipping a switch but on others it means holding the button for a few seconds until you hear tones. Once that is done, the computer should connect automatically.

So, look at the Settings - Devices - Bluetooth page. Does the Bluetooth show ON and your device is listed and shows paired when selected? If it does, what happens when you enable the power on the device, the can't connect message?

If it doesn't connect, then the first thing to try is to remove the device. Then repair it and see if it will connect. You now probably have a Bluetooth 4.1 or 4.2 radio. If you are running devices which are 3.0 or such it may take a different procedure to get the to connect, which means repairing and connecting at the same time.

A few years ago I rarely used any Bluetooth devices because they were not reliable and I had problems similar to what you are seeing. The newer systems seem to be much more stable and will connect, normally, with just the push and hold of a button.

It's definetly not the devices ... as they can all connect to each other.

Yes the onboard Bluetooth has an Antenna which is connected ... which is why it detects all the devices but they just won't connect.

All troubleshooting I have done all points to Windows 10 being the problem. But nothing I have searched for and tried has managed to fix the problem.

Reaction score
It's definetly not the devices ... as they can all connect to each other.
You have my interest. I assume you are referring to the phone. Since things like headphones do not connect to other such devices, possibly another device is interfering. Have you removed all devices, other than your computer to which you have paired that device?

I have a Bose Bluetooth Headset which can pair with two devices at the same time, but that isn't normal for Bluetooth devices. Maybe get all other devices out of the area and just concentrate a basic device like the sound bar.

There is a Bluetooth Network adapter, which I don't use because I have nothing to use with it. You might try disabling it (ncpa.cpl) to see if it has any effect.

I have 6 Windows 10 systems and none of them have problems with normal Bluetooth devices. I cannot, however, get my iPhone to work.... ;)

Reaction score
I mean I can connect both my Galaxy S5 and Galaxy TAB S2 to my bluetooth soundbar while sitting at the PC .... which to me seems there is no interference. But none of these devices can connect to the PC even when clearing the soundbars pairing each time (it can only be paired to one device at a time).

I have been concentrating on my soundbar and XBOX wireless controller. I have tried turning off the onboard bluetooth in the BIOS and just using my USB Bluetooth adapter but the outcome is the same.

Yes maybe you have had no problems with Windows 10 but searching google suggests many people have had problems (especially since the Creators Update) but none with my exact problem.

And just fyi I am using Windows 10 64bit Professional which is updated to the latest version.

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying although I have no idea how the Samsung devices may fit into the mix.

What I am saying is, Win 10 should connect to functional devices normally. If you can attach external Bluetooth adapters and still not connect, I see where you might think it was Windows, and it may be if your devices are involved.

I am currently on an ASUS X99 motherboard. It is several years old and has Broadcom Bluetooth with driver version 12.0.1.659 which almost looks like a Win 8 driver. Your board seems to have Win 10 driver versions available and Bluetooth is 10.0.0.309. You should also have all the chipset drivers and Bios 1009 appears to be the latest.

I am assuming you have a ROG STRIX Z270E Gaming....

What model of Sound Bar do you have so I can check into that? I have seen other threads regarding a sound bar but I don't remember the exact circumstances. Too bad you don't have just a simple, cheap Bluetooth headset to test.

Perhaps someone else will have some experience with your exact configuration.

Reaction score
Yes it is an ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E Gaming Motherboard.

I have the latest Bluetooth driver and the latest BIOS and chipset drivers.

I don't have a simple headset but tbf 4 devices should be enough to test:

- Soundbar (Just a basic Tesco own brand one)
- Microsoft XBOX Wireless Controller
- Samsung Galaxy S5
- Samsung Galaxy TAB S2

Reaction score
Hi heartsfan.

I have the exact same problem with my Asus Z270E gaming motherboard. Did you find a solution?

Reaction score
Do the devices pair, just not connect?
If so you can try this:
Uninstall the device from device manager and restart bluetooth service.
Start > services.msc
Right-click "Bluetooth Support Service."
Choose Automatic.
Go to device manager and right-click on your computer name and click "Scan for hardware changes"
Install the bluetooth device drivers from the manufacturer's website, if any.

Reaction score
Hi Heartsfan,

I have exactly the same problem then I tried to update my network card with the latest bluetooth driver but nothing worked so far.
However all my devices are detected after uninstalling and reinstalling them but they can't connect and I always get the message - "Couldn't connect. Try connecting again." whereas my bluetooth mouse is still working !?!

My system is running Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 16299.98 (1709/RS3).
My network card is an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 AC 2x2 HMC WiFi Adapter.

And this problem occured after the last windows update (Creators Update) few days ago.

Reaction score
I have the same type issue with Version 1709 Build 16299.98, Microsoft Bluetooth mice will connect/pair but do not function, no pointer movement, no click functions. Didn't seem to be a problem with Build 16299.64

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem, and have for a little while now. I've tried everything! EVERYTHING! LOL, it's driving me insane .Any fixes yet?

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem, and have for a little while now. I've tried everything! EVERYTHING! LOL, it's driving me insane .Any fixes yet?

Nothing for me. I gave up and found another way to connect my bluetooth headphones. Goodluck

Reaction score
Hi folks

I'm having the same problem. I've tried everything I can think of: update drivers, remove drivers, try old drivers, try Windows generic drivers, tried various different Bluetooth devices (all connect to other devices fine)... so it really does seem like it's a Windows issue. For me, the issues started after installing Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update) of Windows.

Windows Edition: Windows 10 Home 64 bit (Version: 1803)

System: Samsung Galaxy Book 12

Bluetooth: Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Bluetooth 4.1

Did anyone manage to find a solution or fix?

Ask a Question