Bluetooth not reconnecting

Reaction score
Hi, I am running Windows 10 Home version 1511 build 10586.63 on a Dell XPS L502X laptop. I have just bought a Bose SLIII bluetooth speaker. I can connect it up to the laptop no problem and it works well, however when I disconnect it I cannot reconnect them without removing the device and pairing it again. On my Android phone it is detected and automatically reconnects. Does anybody know why I have to recreate the device each time I want to connect on the PC? If I do a Win+A then 'connect' and select the speaker device, it tries for a few seconds then I get a yellow message 'Couldn't connect'. When I remove the device and 'Pair' it again it connects immediately.

Reaction score
I have a set of Dell Bluetooth speakers which seem to work pretty. So, some questions about your setup.

Do you have the Bluetooth settings set to Allow Devices finding your system?

If you look at your Bluetooth devices in settings are they always listed, and how are you "disconnecting" them?

What type of sound is make when you try to reconnect. Mine makes some distinctive 3 tone sound when the device reconnects When I turn the power off to the speakers, there is a 4 tone sound.

Do you use the speakers with any other systems or do you have other devices, such as Bluetooth Headsets, being used? How far away are they?

Reaction score
I have a set of Dell Bluetooth speakers which seem to work pretty. So, some questions about your setup.

Do you have the Bluetooth settings set to Allow Devices finding your system?

If you look at your Bluetooth devices in settings are they always listed, and how are you "disconnecting" them?

What type of sound is make when you try to reconnect. Mine makes some distinctive 3 tone sound when the device reconnects When I turn the power off to the speakers, there is a 4 tone sound.

Do you use the speakers with any other systems or do you have other devices, such as Bluetooth Headsets, being used? How far away are they?

Thanks for your response Saltgrass.

Yes - In the 'Discovery' panel of 'Settings', 'Devices', 'Bluetooth', 'More Bluetooth options', The check box for 'Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC' is checked.

To disconnect - I usually do a Win+A, Connect, Highlight 'Bose SLIII' and click it to disconnect. Alternatively I power off the speaker. Neither way seems to make any difference.

Sounds - When the speaker connects to the PC it makes a warbling noise, when it disconnects there is no sound.

Other equiptment - I have no other bluetooth devices, but I do use this speaker with both an Android phone and an iPad both connect smoothly. Bluetooth is turned off on both these devices when not in use to conserve battery so there cannot be any conflict with the PC.

Reaction score
Do your speakers indicate they can be paired with more than one device? Newer Bluetooth devices seem to handle being paired with multiple devices but once paired, some may have a hard time resetting the pairing configuration.

My speakers stay Paired with this computer when they are off, if you are using them on other devices, that may be part of the problem. Possibly you could use them exclusively with the computer for a while to see if it makes any difference.

I am not certain the sounds would really indicate anything except possibly some type of driver which would cause the tone during disconnection.

It may take a couple of times to get them where they will stay available, but on my system when I push the Bluetooth button, which is a button in addition to the power button, it connects without problem. This would not be the same as just powering them up but something like a connect instruction.

If it might make any difference, I am using the Dell AC411 speakers with an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 Wifi/Bluetooth adapter. I was running these speakers earlier with a Killer Bluetooth device and it seemed to work well.

I have no other suggestions right now except to point out Bluetooth can be interfered with if you have a WiFi device in the area it might be enough to cause communications problems. I suppose some type of interference may show up in the sound quality from the speakers.

Reaction score
The Speakers can pair with more than one device. The computer shows the device as paired when Bluetooth is turned on and I have noticed that for a few seconds it shows as connected then drops back to just being paired. As I say when I then remove the device, it recreates it and connects without any problems. I am begining to think the problem lies in the fact that the laptop is quite old ...second generation Intel processors etc.

Reaction score
OK. If you think the problem is due to an older device, on many laptop systems the Wireless and Bluetooth are on the same chip and easy to replace. Just an option for you to consider.

Ask a Question