Both mouse and taskbar can move cursor but not click

Reaction score
A few days ago, I started having an intermittent problem with both my touchpad and mouse. I can move the cursor with both of them, but can't use either of the buttons to click on certain parts of the screen--sometimes just the taskbar, sometimes everywhere. Troubleshooting steps I've already tried:
1. Rebooting (obviously)
2. Updating the drivers for both touchpad and mouse (Windows says I already have the latest ones)
3. Uninstalling the drivers for both nd letting them be reinstalled when I rebooted
4. Trying a different mouse
5. Plugging the mouse into a different USB port
6. Restarting Windows Explorer via Task Manager
7. Running Malwarebytes
8. Enabling and then disabling the "Turn on ClickLock" option in mouse settings
9. Running the command "sfc /scannow" in Command Prompt (got the message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.")
10. Running the command "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"

None of this has fixed the problem. Weirdly, if I just open the Command Prompt window without entering anything it will fix it, but then it happens again in just a few minutes. Any ideas?

Reaction score
The mention of touchpad suggests a Notebook/Laptop. Have you tried turning off the touchpad and using only the mouse? Nearly all Notebooks have a switch to do it or an Fn + another Fx key to do it. The key combinations will have markings/symbols of the same color as the Fn key, check the user manual/guide for the make and model you have.

One other thing, most recommendations regarding #9 and #10 have them reversed, do the DISM first, especially when SFC shows issues it can't fix.
9. Running the command "sfc /scannow" in Command Prompt (got the message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.")
10. Running the command "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
You mention you tried a different mouse.

Did this other mouse work or not?

Also, have you booted into Safe Mode, and checked whether this issue persists there too. If it doesn't then that would indicate some other driver / application is interfering with your mouse. More than likely, this would be a non-native application or driver as opposed to anything that comes built into Windows OS itself.

Re your touchpad also experiencing issues. Two things come to mind:
  1. When you connect an external UB device such as your Mouse, this can sometimes automatically disable touchpad. You could check the software for your external mouse, to see whether there is a setting there to prevent this.

2. Some computers BIOS settings allow the enabling or disabling of items such as Touchpad. Have you gone into your BIOS and verified the touchpad is not simply disabled there?

Ask a Question