Buffering problem

Reaction score
Hi Newbie here, Have my computer hooked to my LG TV via HDMI cable. When I watch a movie it keeps stopping every so often because the buffer cannot keep up with the movie. Any suggestions?? Am using a Linksys N router with an HP All in One 23-Q129 computer. Thanks a lot.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does the same thing happen when you watch the same movie from the same source on the computer, without involving the TV??

Reaction score
Are you streaming the movie? From Netflix or somewhere like that?

The spec of the machine looks plenty fast if the movie is on a DVD. Is it ok if you play a movie from DVD?

Reaction score
Does the same thing happen when you watch the same movie from the same source on the computer, without involving the TV??
Thanks for the quick response. To answer your question, yes it does so does this mean my router is not fast enough or ??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
To answer your question, yes it does so does this mean my router is not fast enough or ??
It could mean any number of things.
Do you have a means of connecting the PC to the router using an RJ45 Ethernet cable? Just to take wireless out of the equation temporarily.

Reaction score
How fast is your internet connection...how fast does your ISP claim to be and what answer do you get if you run a speed test like www.speedtest.net at the same time of day when you usually stream movies?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you are using any third party security suite, especially one with a firewall component with SPI enabled you might try completely uninstalling it and see if that helps the buffering.
Since the file is coming to you over the network it's possible that Stateful Packet Inspection could be slowing things down and well as an overzealous antivirus product checking the file and slowing things down.

Reaction score
All I am using on this computer is what came with it. Windows Essentials and Firewall. No third party virus or firewall.

Reaction score
Just had a thought, could it be the wireless security setting on my router?? I have it set to WPA2 Personal. Should I lower this setting, and if so what would you suggest??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope, not if you are not connecting to the router using wireless.
It shouldn't impact you Ethernet connection.

Reaction score
That speed test was 1.60 Mbps down? that is very slow. What sort of connection is it? DSL? Cellular? fixed radio?

I thought that Netflix for example needed 6-8 Mbps to give acceptable streaming. In fact less I looked it up

• 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
  • 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If that's the case, then the bottle neck, causing his buffering, is definitely the speed he's getting from his ISP.

Reaction score
If that's the case, then the bottle neck, causing his buffering, is definitely the speed he's getting from his ISP.
So the area I live in is similar to using satellite internet, we have a tower on the hillside above us and then we have receivers on the side of the house. Now saying that, my next door neighbour streams all the time using the same ISP.

Reaction score
WE have some systems like yours here in Canada, a friend of mine has one ( But she is offered 10Mbps) So. You have a antenna on your house pointing at the tower with a cable that comes into your router with a POE ( Power over Ethernet) injector that powers the 'receiver " on the antenna? Your supplier is offering 1.5 Mbps and Speedtest shows 1.6 through to your PC.

You are using Netflix or a similar service. Have you tried selecting a low bandwidth transmission for the movies? For instance SD on Netflix?

Have you played a movie from a DVD on your PC to your TV and if so does that work perfectly?

Reaction score
Netflix works just fine as it goes through my DVD player with wifi, do not use my computer for that. The only problem that I am having is when I stream movies through my computer via an HDMI cable. I am trying other internet sites for movies as the choice is far better.

Reaction score
Your DVD player has wifi and netflix built in and it works I had one like that! So this is other movie sites. Are you accessing some sites via a VPN? That sucks up some of your bandwidth. Or that some sites are using less compression than netflix and thus requiring more bandwidth.

Last try. Swap the HDMI cables between the DVD and the PC. Unlikely to make a difference but bad HDMI cables do happen.

Makes me think that your system is doing the best it can but your problems are in your available bandwidth.

Reaction score
Cable is good as played DVD from computer to TV with no problems. Beginning to believe it is bandwidth as you both have said.

Ask a Question