Build 10166 Introduces New Problems

Reaction score
No idea of the cause or how to correct the issues. As I pointed out in another thread I created a .iso install disc on another computer using the Decrypt program and it installed build 10077 which was released last April. Checked for updates and today's build 10166 was available so I let it download and install. Installed Firefox, Windows Live Mail and my ESET Nod32 antivirus program and so far no crashes or blue screens.

However, when I tried to access the personalization page from the desktop all I got was a window with "Page Not Found" and a note that there is no program associated with this action and I need to install one. Opened the notification fly out and clicked the all settings icon to check there and again got a "Page Not Found" with no settings except access to the store. Get the same thing trying to access settings from the start menu. Was going to look in the recovery folder but it won't let me in and denies access. Looked in the advanced security settings for it and I'm not listed to gain authorization.

I'm at a loss as to how to fix these issues since I can't access settings. I'm logged on with my Microsoft account name and password. Need some ideas on how to get this fixed.

Reaction score
Another wildy problem!

No such problem for me. I'll have a look around and see if anyone else is having that issue and, if possible, post back.

Reaction score
I have fixed this issue by computing the new application.manifest file from 10162 to 10166 into C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel. For some reason after an upgrade a file of just lots of zeroes is installed instead of the useful manifest file, so the app does not open.

In case you do not have a C:\Windows.old folder to copy this from, I uploaded it to Mega. You may have to take ownership of C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\application.manifest first. This can be done using the script available here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

https://mega.co.nz/#!fVkFVTIS!tkPvrluP1CctJb85YQ4sZsxxzpCwFnQscwFTMaK-sDo

I have reported this to Microsoft via the Feedback app. Good luck all :)

Reaction score
I had an issue where the Start menu only appears on the screen for about 3 to 5 seconds on my Toshiba tablet then disappears. None of the items in the start menu work. I had to hold the power button on the tablet and swipe down to shut down the tablet. I reverted back to Build 10162 which works perfectly on my Toshiba tablet. Anyone else having this issue?

Reaction score
Having the exact some problem on my Surface Pro 3, NOLATechy. Same happens in desktop mode, but power options at least work

Reaction score
I had an issue where the Start menu only appears on the screen for about 3 to 5 seconds on my Toshiba tablet then disappears. None of the items in the start menu work. I had to hold the power button on the tablet and swipe down to shut down the tablet. I reverted back to Build 10162 which works perfectly on my Toshiba tablet. Anyone else having this issue?

I too am having this issue on my Dell E6530. Surprised to find a bug of this serious nature when 10162 was so tight.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Need some ideas on how to get this fixed.

I had an issue where the Start menu only appears on the screen for about 3 to 5 seconds on my Toshiba tablet then disappears.

Having the exact some problem on my Surface Pro 3

I too am having this issue on my Dell E6530
It seems that the upgrade process has varying results.
I was also perplexed by a simple Weather Live Tile issue (not nearly as severe as those above but), still annoying.
I upgraded from 10162 where it was working perfectly, to 10166 and nothing that I tried would make the darned thing work again.
Finally I did a clean install of 10166 and all was fine again.
I certainly hope these problems are resolved soon. There are going to be a lot of "updates" at some point following July 29th and I hope that we don't have to tell a bunch of Windows 7 and 8 users that the only way to actually get this OS running properly is to perform a custom clean install and wipe their previous installations.
That would make for some very interesting banter.

Reaction score
I also have an issue where the Start menu only appears on the screen for about 3 to 5 seconds. Restart didn't help.

Reaction score
This seems to have fixed my start menu issue. I was having the same problem as everyone else.

Open powershell as administrator.
Paste this

$app = Get-AppxPackage -Name Microsoft.WindowsPhone

$app | Remove-AppxPackage

$man = $app.installlocation + "\appxmanifest.xml"

Add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode $man

Press enter

Try the start menu now.

It seems that the microsoft phone companion app was causing the problem for me.

Hopefully this helps! Goodluck.

Reaction score
This seems to have fixed my start menu issue. I was having the same problem as everyone else.

Paste this

Press enter

Try the start menu now.

Thanks, worked for me.

Reaction score
Interesting. If anyone has this problem, I wonder if they would mind trying the above through the settings - System - Apps and features, and seeing if that works. I uninstalled mine through that means, when customising, so cannot at the moment try it.

Reaction score

Paste this

Press enter

Try the start menu now.

Thank you so much.

This worked on my Surface 3.

Reaction score
It seems that the upgrade process has varying results.
I was also perplexed by a simple Weather Live Tile issue (not nearly as severe as those above but), still annoying.
I upgraded from 10162 where it was working perfectly, to 10166 and nothing that I tried would make the darned thing work again.
Finally I did a clean install of 10166 and all was fine again.
I certainly hope these problems are resolved soon. There are going to be a lot of "updates" at some point following July 29th and I hope that we don't have to tell a bunch of Windows 7 and 8 users that the only way to actually get this OS running properly is to perform a custom clean install and wipe their previous installations.
That would make for some very interesting banter.

I agree. I reverted my Toshiba tablet back to build 10162 and the updates ran perfectly. I just re-upgraded my tablet to build 10166 and I'm now not having any problems. In fact, build 10166 is working perfectly. If you were having this problem, just revert back to build 10162 and then upgrade again. It worked for me. Not having any windows update issues either. Both my Toshiba tablet and my HP laptop are working perfectly with build 10166.

Hope this helps others. .

Reaction score

Paste this

Press enter

Try the start menu now.

I want to thank you for this I have been sitting here for hours trying to figure it out.

Reaction score
Hi I am having huge problems with this build! 10162 worked great. UT it automatically upgraded me to 10166 and now nothing works. Can't open start menu to search or. Organa and the worst part is I can't access to settings menu to downgrade!! Nothing works now can anyone help I'm desperate!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the worst part is I can't access to settings menu to downgrade!!
What happens when you click the notification icon in the bottom right of your screen near the clock and select "All Settings" from the bottom of the icon area there?

Reaction score
his seems to have fixed my start menu issue. I was having the same problem as everyone else.

Paste this

Press enter

Try the start menu now.

Worked for me too.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Paul and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for posting and letting us know that you managed to resolve your issue and the solution that worked for you.
Interesting, that the Phone Companion App is causing those types of problems, and....
Thanks to Nexus for posting that solution.

Reaction score
No idea of the cause or how to correct the issues. As I pointed out in another thread I created a .iso install disc on another computer using the Decrypt program and it installed build 10077 which was released last April. Checked for updates and today's build 10166 was available so I let it download and install. Installed Firefox, Windows Live Mail and my ESET Nod32 antivirus program and so far no crashes or blue screens.

However, when I tried to access the personalization page from the desktop all I got was a window with "Page Not Found" and a note that there is no program associated with this action and I need to install one. Opened the notification fly out and clicked the all settings icon to check there and again got a "Page Not Found" with no settings except access to the store. Get the same thing trying to access settings from the start menu. Was going to look in the recovery folder but it won't let me in and denies access. Looked in the advanced security settings for it and I'm not listed to gain authorization.

I'm at a loss as to how to fix these issues since I can't access settings. I'm logged on with my Microsoft account name and password. Need some ideas on how to get this fixed.
Hello Dipsy, I am also having the same problem. Yesterday i installed Windows 10 Enterprise version of build 10166. I could not access the setting page. I hope some one will give a good solution

Ask a Question