SOLVED Can image of HD restore to SSD drive?

Reaction score
HP laptop running win10 home on a 1TB SATA mechanical drive. 95GB is in use, most of drive is empty. My question is this: if a system image is saved to an external hd, and a restore optical disk is created, using that combo will a restore to a 128GB SATA SSD work?
thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That's cutting it pretty close, but it should work fine.
IF you're facts and figures are accurate it would mean that you'd be using 75% of the SSD and maintaining 25% free space, so .....
As long as you don't plan on ever writing anything more to the drive and you've accounted for various cache and temp files as well as hiberfil.sys pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys

IF you've miscalculated you'll probably notice right away as the overall performance will suck.
Personally, I'd give some thought to at least doubling the size to 256.
Pricing for those size drives is very reasonable.

Reaction score
Just a note, this Notebook I'm on now has a 128GB SSD but its NTFS formatted capacity is 118GB so for future Version Upgrades and Build updates I have to be careful when downloading as after 9 months use I have 66GB free. I use a NAS drive on my Network to offload large files.

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight/s. The larger issue for me was answered, ie, can win 10 imaging handle a larger source cloned to a smaller target drive and relatedly, from a mechanical hard drive to a solid state drive. And yeah, 256GB makes a lot of sense, too.
hb

Ask a Question