SOLVED Cannot connect to internet

Reaction score
I upgraded to Windows 10 two months ago. Last week, I lost networking. I've scanned the posts and haven't found a solution.

Network troubleshooter says adapter might be the problem, device manager shows adapter working normally. Power saving not enabled. No VPN installed. Original adapter is Broadcomn NetLink Gigabit Ethernet.

Too late to roll back to Windows 7.

Installed new Realtek PCIe GBE Ethernet adapter that is Windows 10 compatible. Tried an old USB Netgear wireless approach. Nothing has helped.

Cannot connect desktop to network at all. All other tablets, laptops work fine.

Tried all suggested command prompts (netsh, etc).

Tried updating drivers by downloading to tablet and then transferring to computer.

Issue is not intermittent, not fixed by rebooting, just not connecting.

Reaction score
Have you tried another ethernet cable?
Can you connect to your router? Are you getting an IP address, gateway etc. Can you ping your router?
Has your system miraculously changed from Private to Public.

Reaction score
From your post, you did have a normal connection, after the install, buy it has since gone.
How about the wireless connection. You don't mention it?

Reaction score
From your post, you did have a normal connection, after the install, buy it has since gone.
How about the wireless connection. You don't mention it?
Yes, I had a normal connection but then lost it. I tried a USB wireless adapter, but that didn't work. I'm sure the driver is an older version.

Before calling it quits for the night, I went through everything again. I uninstalled the adapter, rebooted, updated the driver, rebooted and then reset all the power management settings as they reverted when the adapter was reinstalled. Still no progress. I came back this morning, woke the computer from hibernation and everything connected!

Several hours later, and a few reboots to check, and everything is still working. I'm not sure what finally solved it but am glad its working.

Ask a Question