SOLVED Cannot play any video thru any browser and cannot access airplane mode on desktop to turn off

Reaction score
Hello all, I cannot get any video on any browser on my desktop to play no matter what I do.

Also I see "AIRPLANE MODE" enabled, yet my desktop never flys......

I cannot access this app to turn it off and/or disable it.

I know of nothing that changed on my network settings but do not know enough about the connections to be able to diagnose the problem'.

Any help to at least narrow down the list of suspects would be great.

Reaction score
Press the Windows and "i" keys simultaneously, select "Network and Internet", click on "Airplane mode" in the left window and turn it off.

Ben

Reaction score
I meant I cannot access the on/of for the airplane mode, I can get to the settings, but there is no airplane mode listed in the network settings, never been present since I bought this PC, only I can see it now on in the toolbar network icon.

Its a desktop, Dell Optiplex 9020 and it is HARDWIRED to the modem, is a Win 10, see screenshot for all the updates since March

I reset the modem, flushed and reset network connections, uninstalled and reinstalled my FF browser, (clean install).
Banged my head against the wall a couple times, oops sorry, wrong issue lol.....
Got out my Dell laptop, it is similarly configured and it plays videos fine, (and has the airplane button)

Attachments

• Desktop update history.PNG
    Desktop update history.PNG
    39.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Reaction score
Some people with uninterruptible power supplies have seen this and solved it by temporarily disconnecting it.

Ben

Reaction score
As to Airplane Mode, it is part and parcel associated with the Wireless/Wi-Fi adapter in a computer, common with Notebooks and usually optional on Desktops. If not wanting to see it click the Action Center icon at the right end of the Notification Area, some of those icons shown there can be deleted or hidden. The main purpose of Airplane Mode is to turn off the Wireless when flying to prevent interference with a plane's instrumentation and to adhere to FAA requirements, particularly during takeoff and landing.

Reaction score
My neigtbor below me works in IT and he took a look at my PC and there is apparently a conflict somewhere, he spent a decent amount of time before announcing that it could take suite awhile and suggested I reload Windows, so I just decided to install the new EVO 870 SDD I had recently bought and that has resolved my issue but did not explain how the issue developed in the first place.

Reaction score
Good that it works. Sometimes we can never catch the culprit that causes a problem, reloading on a new SSD drive is a good choice.

Reaction score
As to Airplane Mode, it is part and parcel associated with the Wireless/Wi-Fi adapter in a computer, common with Notebooks and usually optional on Desktops. If not wanting to see it click the Action Center icon at the right end of the Notification Area, some of those icons shown there can be deleted or hidden. The main purpose of Airplane Mode is to turn off the Wireless when flying to prevent interference with a plane's instrumentation and to adhere to FAA requirements, particularly during takeoff and landing.
Thanks for the info on Airplane Mode Bighorn, I only saw the iconwhen you accessed the network icon on the toolbar, then it just disappeared only to reappear later, but with no way to turn it off, however, since I installed a new SSD I never solved that issue, and it has not appeared on the new drive, which had a fresh install of Windows.

Ask a Question