SOLVED Cant calibrate my monitor on Windows 10

Reaction score
Hello, I'm running Windows 10 Home Edition on an HP Pavillion Desktop 550-a114. I have 2 monitors (Dell and Asus) connected to the computer.

I'm trying to calibrate my monitor so colors look right, grays look brown. but every time I run the monitor calibration I get the same error: "an error has occurred while display color calibration was preparing to calibrate the selected display" and then directly underneath that it says "Unspecified error".

SCREENSHOT ATTACHED

I tried only plugging in 1 monitor and calibrating but I get the same error, can anyone help me fix this?

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 1,512
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Nick.

First, does your monitor have a button for Auto calibration?

Microsoft advises you to use the software that came with your monitor, rather than the Windows 10 software. If you don't have your monitor's software, you might be able to download it from the manufacturer's website.

Failing that, you need to set your monitor to its native resolution. Huh? Set the resolution at the recommended settings.

Then go into Control Panel--Display, and adjust the color calibration from there.

Reaction score
Hi Vince, both monitors are set to the native resolution. My main monitor (Dell) only has an auto adjust for the screen display. Basically I can only adjust the picture to go left, right, up and down. All that's fine though. Aside from that there's just brightness and contrast adjustments directly from the monitor. Both monitors have drivers installed, but there's no software to fine tune it, it's just the driver itself

When I go into the control panel--display and try to adjust the color calibration I get the same error from my screenshot.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Most GPU drivers support adjusting things like brightness, contrast, hue, vibrance, etc., through their own application.
Perhaps installing the latest drivers for your GPU and using those resources might provide better results.

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
It does have the option to adjust red/green/blue. I guess I'll play around with that and see what happens.

Ask a Question