SOLVED Cant click any applications

Reaction score
My battery recently came out for my computer. Once I put it back in, I realized that my computer cannot open anything. Firefox, skype, etc. It gives me this popup telling me windows is not responding. Once I tried to click the end process button, it doesnt work. I cant get into the task manager because everytime I click cntrl alt delete, the same thing happens. After a minute, my entire screen goes black. I reset my computer 4 times already and its not helping. Is there any way at all I can fix this...? Thank you for your valuable time.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
My battery recently came out for my computer
I'll assume that "my computer" is a laptop and we're not talking about the motherboard's CMOS battery. So......
Try
Disconnecting the laptop from the AC power source.
Removing the battery and setting it aside.
Open the laptop and press and hold the power button and count to 30 (by ones, slowly and no cheating).
Close the laptop.
Put the battery back in place.
Reconnect it to AC power.
Press the power button and see what happens.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'll assume that "my computer" is a laptop and we're not talking about the motherboard's CMOS battery. So......
Try
Disconnecting the laptop from the AC power source.
Removing the battery and setting it aside.
Open the laptop and press and hold the power button and count to 30 (by ones, slowly and no cheating).
Close the laptop.
Put the battery back in place.
Reconnect it to AC power.
Press the power button and see what happens.

Hi! First of all, thanks for replying. Unfortunetly, the problem was not solved. Is there any other options? Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Since I'm not sure, exactly what you can or cannot do, I'll ask......
Can you use the Start Button?
Can you hold the Windows Logo key down and strike the x key on your keyboard?
The object here is to attempt to get to the option to "restart" while holding the shift key on your keyboard to produce the advanced options which will allow you to attempt to boot the computer into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with networking.
IF you can use the Windows Logo key and the x key to produce the "x - menu", you should be able to navigate with your keyboard arrow keys and the enter key and then once you have "restart" highlighted / selected, hold the shift key and strike enter on your keyboard.

Reaction score
The object here is to attempt to get to the option to "restart" while holding the shift key on your keyboard to produce the advanced options which will allow you to attempt to boot the computer into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with networking.
IF you can use the Windows Logo key and the x key to produce the "x - menu", you should be able to navigate with your keyboard arrow keys and the enter key and then once you have "restart" highlighted / selected, hold the shift key and strike enter on your keyboard.
No, I cannot do anything. Nothing is opening.

Reaction score
I just went to the advanced part. Which option should I chose?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would try safe mode first and then see what happens.
Advancing then to safe mode with networking and testing again.
Just to see what does or doesn't work.... if the problem persists or not.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Screen1.JPG

Screen2.JPG

Screen3.JPG

Screen4.JPG

Screen5.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try creating a new user to test if the problem is unique to your particular profile.
Use the Windows Key + X to open the menu and use your keyboard to navigate to Command Prompt (Admin) and use the enter key evoke it.
In the Command prompt window type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

Now obviously it doesn't have to be JohnSmith.
It can be Tom, Dick or Harry it doesn't make any difference
It's just a means of creating a new admin user to test and you can get rid of it later, anytime you want.

Reaction score
Try creating a new user to test if the problem is unique to your particular profile.
Use the Windows Key + X to open the menu and use your keyboard to navigate to Command Prompt (Admin) and use the enter key evoke it.
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter

It's just a means of creating a new admin user to test and you can get rid of it later, anytime you want.

Sorry for the wait.
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter

It seems to work on the other account completely fine.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What "other account"?
The one I told you to create or did you have another pre-existing account already on the computer?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK....
Maybe give it a day, do some ordinary stuff, manually check for windows updates, store updates, reboot a couple times, browse the web, check your email, etc., etc.
As a means of testing the overall stability of the Operating System and as a consequence confirming that the problem is your user profile.
There may be issues with some programs, which may need to be re-installed / repair installed. Basically you want to take your time and see what does or doesn't work.
Afterwards you might want to read up on how to recover a corrupt user profile.
It's a bit of a pain, but nothing unmanageable and the JohnSmith user will come in handy when you create a new profile to move things into that is not JohnSmith.
The process has been around for years and remains relatively unchanged
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile
I can't seem to find one from Microsoft explicitly for Windows 10 yet, but....
I can't imagine it being much different than the procedure outlined in that link under "My computer is in a workgroup"

Reaction score
OK....
Maybe give it a day, do some ordinary stuff, manually check for windows updates, store updates, reboot a couple times, browse the web, check your email, etc., etc.
As a means of testing the overall stability of the Operating System and as a consequence confirming that the problem is your user profile.
There may be issues with some programs, which may need to be re-installed / repair installed. Basically you want to take your time and see what does or doesn't work.
Afterwards you might want to read up on how to recover a corrupt user profile.
It's a bit of a pain, but nothing unmanageable and the JohnSmith user will come in handy when you create a new profile to move things into that is not JohnSmith.
The process has been around for years and remains relatively unchanged
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile
I can't seem to find one from Microsoft explicitly for Windows 10 yet, but....
I can't imagine it being much different than the procedure outlined in that link under "My computer is in a workgroup"
I cant thank you enough. Youve been a great help. Thanks so much!! Have a nice day!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad things seem to have worked out. At least a little anyway.
Thanks for hanging in there and seeing it through.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question