Can't Find PS/2 Keyboard Drivers Or Get PS/2 Keyboard To Work

Reaction score
I have money issues plus all the new USB keyboards are "garbage" whereas some old PS/2 keyboards are well made. I "want" to use one but, even with the adapter (which some say is passive) is won't work. Someone said, "Buy a dongle and that's active" but it doesn't have it's own power so how can it be active? Also, the "drivers aren't there" in Device Manager and I can't find them anywhere, including the foreigners at Microsoft.Com support who give all sorts of erroneous information that doesn't work and I already know anyways. PLEASE HELP me get my PS/2 keyboard going. I also have some PS/2 Trackball mice that I want to use. Where do I get the standard PS/2 drivers, even with the supposedly active adapter dongle ("Is" it really active?) "Many" thanks if you can just "Help" a fellow American (or even if you're not) who's down on his luck (Yes, Bugs Bunny/Humphrey Bogart reference.)

Reaction score
Can you temporarily plug a USB keyboard & mouse and follow these steps?
-Hit Windows Key+R, then type regedit and hit Enter.
-Paste this adress to the adress bar of Registry Editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt
-Double click on "Start" DWORD, then change the value to "1" on Value Data box, click OK.
-Press the power button on your Computer, the physically one, to shut down your computer. This action ignores "fast startup" feature on Windows and resets the computer and the components for the next boot.
-Unplug the USB keyboard & mouse and plug the PS/2 ones while your PC is off, then turn your PC on.

Last edited:

Ask a Question