SOLVED Can't find dvd with ISO of Win10 on it to restore

Reaction score
I tried linux on my older 2019 Dell Inspirion 15 laptop, but deleted win10 by installing linux completely.

No problem I say, because within three days of purchase of laptop I made; SysRestore DVD,SysRepair, and Win_10 ISO, plus saved Key to portable HD.
Everything goes good with being able to load and run the Restore and Repair DVD's, but neither can complete the task of installing the Win10 ISO because they cannot find it in the drive, also the saved Key when I open it op is like a huge chart of numbers WTF!

Do you think this is a simple solution to make the ISO findable? And what's the deal with the Key, I thought it was a single and long number, I have no idea what to do with the way it was saved.

Reaction score
Was the .iso burned to the DVD as an image or did you just transfer the file to the disc?
The numbers sound more like a bitlocker key or most likely the PC’s ID, usually the key is alphanumeric.
Have you tried booting from the Windows installation DVD Rather than going via a repair DVD? Does the repair DVD not allow you to install Windows or recover the original OS?

Reaction score
I burned it as image. Both Sys. Restore and System Repair load and function and both can take me to installing ISO. What is the Windows Installation DVD? I opened the ISO on Linus and these are the contents: Boot, efi, sources, support, autorun.inf, bootmgr, and setup.exe

(FYI: the HD was wiped and 100% set up for Linux, there is nothing on the HD pertaining to Win10.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
The .iso would create the Windows installation media.
Are you booting from the Windows installation media with no other disc inserted? If not I’d try this first.
If Linux is now on the drive then this is possibly why the PC doesn’t see the media. You should run command & diskpart to clean the drive then try installing Windows.
Command prompt with admin (you’ll have to run this via one of the repair tools.
Diskpart
List disk
Select disk X where X is the number of the drive you wish to clean
Clean
Exit
Exit

Now insert the Windows installation DVD & boot from this, it should start the installation process.

Reaction score
The .iso would create the Windows installation media.
Are you booting from the Windows installation media with no other disc inserted? If not I’d try this first.
If Linux is now on the drive then this is possibly why the PC doesn’t see the media. You should run command & diskpart to clean the drive then try installing Windows.
Command prompt with admin (you’ll have to run this via one of the repair tools.
Diskpart
List disk
Select disk X where X is the number of the drive you wish to clean
Clean
Exit
Exit

Now insert the Windows installation DVD & boot from this, it should start the installation process.
This > "The .iso would create the Windows installation media." I didn't know the DVD with the ISO image was the disk to use first. That was the only disk required. That is the solution, Got it set up, all thanks to your kind help.

Ask a Question