SOLVED Cant get printer to work

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Tony, welcome to the forums.

Which model printer do you have and how are you connecting it? USB cable I guess?

Did it work before you upgraded to Windows 10?

Reaction score
Hi Ian, thanks for interest.
The Printer is OKI B401d connected by USB. It is a Duplex (double side) printer. Worked fine with Windows 7 using PCL-5 universal driver. (The B401 driver never worked and OKI have this fix for windows 7 listed).

MS tech support have again got the printer working using the PCL-5 driver (Which I had been unable to previously install on WIndows10). However, Printing is now limited to single side only. So, we have a work-round and not a fix.

Probably best at this stage to leave it escalated to MS as I have a call back booked with them for Friday to deal with miriad other issues with this disasterous launch of windows 10 into my work life. Never again will I be an early adopter of MS technology!

Reaction score
This may not be relevant, but, for what it's worth.

Since the very first build of Windows 10, I have had some small problems through the "devices and Printers" - Add a printer.
The program could see, and accepted my two printers, which were on my Lan, but they did not appear on the "Added" page, nor could I print a test paper.

But, oddly, and by accident, I had a couple of documents which I wanted to print (from WordPad). So I selected "print and, to my surprise, both printers were listed. I selected my favoured printer, and a pop up came saying it needed to download drivers. I accepted this - Voila - The printer is now fully functional!

Reaction score
Hi, I think your observation is absolutely relevant. The MS tech who took over my p.c needed to go through the"add printer routine", even though printers were there and one was selected as my default. The tech also used the work-round driver.
I simply now have the issue of the printer not having a driver installed to allow double side printing.
But thanks,
If more replies come up with a similar answer then it may the "add printer" is the fix?

Reaction score
Impossible to get local printer to link to windows 10. Any ideas?
Thanks
Finally got help by going to the HP support site for my product, downloaded the full drivers for my computer and reinstalled the drivers. The process auto-detected my printer (and discovered that I was picking up the neighbor's wifi so not on the same network as my printer). All fixed!!!!! Yeah!

Ask a Question