SOLVED CANT GET W10 BACK!

Reaction score
Hi all......My Toshiba Satellite laptop originally came with W7......i7. However, when W10 became available, I downloaded it for free like everyone else.
Last week I was having some problems with the laptop, so decided to return it to it's factory condition, i.e. W7.
I did this and it runs quite well now, however, I can't get the free W10 back. I am being told I have to buy it?
Is this correct? Can anyone advise me please?
Cheers,
Tony1942 (Yep, nearly 80)

Reaction score
Well Tony You need to find your windows 7 product key once you have that then I will find you a link to get you an iso you can update from but first i need to verify with some other techs if you can upgrade using iso. Here is a tip you can use a windows 7 product key for windows 10.
Also have you tried win 8 or 11.

Reaction score
My experience has been that once a computer is assigned a Digital License when Win10 is installed and activated/online it remains that way even through a boot/system drive is changed. Changing the motherboard usually makes it a new computer and other steps are needed. As mentioned putting in the Win7 Product Key when prompted should also work.

Reaction score
So go to this link and you can download an iso there now you may have to download iso creator instead which will create one for you or you can skip all of these instructions and download media creation tool and run it then it will upgrade your pc right away but make sure you have your product key just in case.. move the iso to your desktop and double click it then it will show up as a DVD drive DO NOT EJECT IT AS YOU NEED THIS TO UPDATE! When you are in the files double click on setup.exe and then it will do it for you just answer and accept questions or licenses and that's it you can still downgrade to win 7 if necessary WARNING BACKUP DATA IT SHOULD NOT CAUSE YOU TO LOSE BUT JUST IN CASE BACKUP DATA. after 10 days you can't downgrade.

Pictures if necessary.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-08 103855.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-08 103855.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot 2021-11-08 104146.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-08 104146.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know what I was thinking just go to the link posted up there and download media creation tool then double click on the file and when it asks you just hit upgrade this pc now and it will upgrade but I have said before and I will say it again Please make sure you know your product key.

Reaction score
Thanks all......been off for a day, so give me time to read and try all posts, which I appreciate.
FYI W7 came already installed on laptop. I have a purchased (by me) W7 Ultimate. Does that help?
I don't understand the ISO thingy, sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well Tony You need to find your windows 7 product key once you have that then I will find you a link to get you an iso you can update from but first i need to verify with some other techs if you can upgrade using iso. Here is a tip you can use a windows 7 product key for windows 10.
Also have you tried win 8 or 11.
I have the product key but don't know about ISO's, sorry.

Reaction score
Well, I've started to apply everyone's opinions one by one. I have started with the easy one to see what happens. I have followed "shell's" - download windows 10.
I have transferred the link to the laptop I am discussing, and at present, windows 10 is downloading. So, when that's finished, I'll see what happens next............:eek::D:p

Thanks to all repliers again. Will keep you posted.
Regards, Tony1942 from Australia

Reaction score
Just a quick update. W10 is currently installing as I type this (on the other laptop of course). Up to 25%.
Didn't ask for anything, just downloaded and now installing.

Thank you "shell".......your advice worked fine, but I must admit, yours was the first I tried as it seemed more simple.

A huge thanks to every member who gave advice.....I appreciate it muchly.

Thanks again, will update the thread when the install finished.........

Reaction score
Well, the W10 appears to be running OK, although at times much slower than it used to. I am continuing with installing my apps, etc, and updates, so will carry on until a week or so, then mark the thread as solved.

Once again, a big thank you to all who responded, especially "shell".....:)

Reaction score
Don't forget that after ten days you can't go back without an using an iso. And use it for a while and it should get faster over time and try running maintenance via control panel>System and Security>security and maintenance>maintenance>start maintenance. Good luck!

Ask a Question