SOLVED Can't play mp3 music

Reaction score
I updated to 10240 (10 Pro) from 10166. Now I can't play mp3 files with Media Player, VLC Media Player or anything else. Most of my misic is mp3. I can see videos on youtube but can't get sound.The mp3 would play on the evaluation builds.

Reaction score
My PC with 10240 works fine doing this but my set up is probably different. I have no speakers so I connect HDMI to my AV receiver and use the TV as a display and the AV stuff for sound. First thing I did after install of 10240. Vids with sound from Youtube and music from the PC locally and from a shared network drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Now I can't play mp3 files with Media Player, VLC Media Player or anything else
Can't play is a lot different then can't hear.... which is it?
If you can't hear, then right click the speaker ICON in he notification area and choose "PlaybackDevices" then in the resultant window with the playback tab selected make sure your "speakers" are selected as the "Default Device", (little green circle with a check in it), if not right click and choose it (set as default).
Then highlight speakers and click the properties button, select the advanced tab and start changing the sampling rates using the drop down arrow and then the test button until you don't get an error and you hear the test tone coming out of your speakers.
This is assuming you have everything connected properly and the correct driver for your sound card installed.

Reaction score
Reinstalled sound card driver with 8.1 driver. Sound now works.
Thanks for all your help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to hear that you've managed to resolve your issue.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.

Ask a Question