Can't save files to USB

Reaction score
Hi I used to be able to send files etc to my usb stick, now, my Pc windows 10 won't download or enable me to save files on it.
A message comes up telling me it needs an associated app for it to work, or to look at my default settings. I am not sure which or what I should be looking for? (not good on the computer!) Very frustrating as I want to save a file I have been working on for some time and don't want to lose the info. Can anyone help please?

Reaction score
Have you tried formatting a flash drive? Have you tried another?
It is possible that the flash drive is broken.

Reaction score
Hi rosebuddy,

what version of Win 10 do you have?:

Have you tried moving the USB stick to a different port on the computer?. :)

Reaction score
Which Browser are you using?
If Edge, try this:
Open the settings by clicking the three small dots, top right.
In the drop down menu, select "Downloads", then, at the bottom "Download settings"
Now, over on the right, in the first options for downloads "Location", select "Change"
Select your USB as the primary download destination.

Reaction score
Have you tried formatting a flash drive? Have you tried another?
It is possible that the flash drive is broken.
Hi
I have tried different USB sticks and an external hard drive which was supposed to be backing up. They go into the same port on the side of the pc. My mouse works from the one port but the USB sticks don’t. Every time I insert a stick a message comes up saying the file does not have an app associated with it for performing the action. It says if there is an app, create an association in the default apps settings page. Don’t know which app I should have or, how to do the latter!

Reaction score
My earlier post was prompted by "My Pc windows 10 won't download or enable me to save files on it. "
Presumably, you are able to download and save on your hard disk?

Reaction score
Sorry badly put. I cannot download to my USb as my pc is unable to connect or recognize the USB stick.

Reaction score
Before you experiment, make sure you have a sound backup.
If I had that problem, first thing I would think was a loss, somewhere, of program associations. Strange in your case, as we are not dealing with programs, but hardware.
But I would go into Settings - Apps.
Choose Default Apps and scroll down to" Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults." Press RESET

Reaction score
Before you experiment, make sure you have a sound backup.
If I had that problem, first thing I would think was a loss, somewhere, of program associations. Strange in your case, as we are not dealing with programs, but hardware.
But I would go into Settings - Apps.
Choose Default Apps and scroll down to" Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults." Press RESET

Reaction score
Thank you. tried that but it didn't work. Kept coming up with the same message about finding a default to enable it to work or an associated app.May have to try my geek!

Reaction score
OK. I'm lost!! I just cannot understand the popup about no Associate. It seems it is trying to read what it thinks is a program either with, or on, the USB.
It seems that, in the past, users have experienced this due to a registry error. Have a look here:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have found that some "Clients" not sure what or how they did, but used a USB and suddenly the same, I checked and the Format was not proper so I used HDDLLFormat to reset the USBs back to default, and then all things works 100% as.

Reaction score
The one thing to be aware of is the formatting of a USB Thumb drive as delivered is usually FAT32, at least up to 64GB [don't have a larger] and usable on both PC and Mac. If used on Apple's Mac system, it does not have native write support of NTFS but usually can read them. Sidenote: the SD/SDHC cards for cameras have their own issues and need the formatting done in the camera to remain usable.

Reaction score
1909 is a Version # of a Windows 10 Release... I am running 2004, which is 19608.1006, to find the version # you are using
start - run - winver and enter
1587341978216.png

Reaction score
Sorry badly put. I cannot download to my USb as my pc is unable to connect or recognize the USB stick.
lots of time trying to find a solution for you... you do have 2 port, #1 you use for a mouse. #2 you are attempting to use for USB (Flashdrive) and or USB External HHD. and in the Original Post you stated you can not Download to the PC also,
my Pc windows 10 won't download or enable me to save files on it
Do you actually mean you can not Download any file or program to your computer? I think you mean you can Download to computer but can not transfer to your USB.
several things you need to try.
1. left click start - scrowl for Command prompt - right click as select run as admin - now type SFC /scannow and see if you have any corrupt system files, if yes this should correct if it does not correct all, then run again until the final line says all was corrected...
2. not try to copy to your usb... if not when you open "This PC" can you see the USB, my K and L are USBs.
1587342965484.png
if yes, then see if you can now transfer. (What exact method are you using to transfer, Copy and paste or send to, or using script such as Copy or xcopy.
like i use xcopy as script.
xcopy g:\photos \ /d /s /f /y /j N:\
this what i use to make a backup of all my photos...

Ask a Question