SOLVED Can't upgrade from Windows 7 - processor is not supported

Reaction score
I have upgraded an older Acer extensa 5220 that came with windows vista pre installed and it runs really well but I cant upgrade .a later model Toshiba lap top because the processor is not supported it came with windows 7 pre installed. I thought if it ran windows 7 it could be upgraded

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Tendj,

Where did you get that error from - did you download an ISO and try to do an upgrade that way. Or did the Windows upgrade notice appear, but not complete? Also, do you have the model number of the problematic laptop please?

I wonder if you are trying to install an x64 version of Windows 10 on an x86 CPU - this can easily be rectified if that is the problem.

However, if you get a more general error message that says your CPU is not compatible then it sounds like your CPU may not support one of the PAE, NX, and SSE2 instructions required for Windows 10 (this is a very slight but important difference to the W7 requirements). I suspect this is the likely outcome in this case.

We can check what the problem is if you can give us the model number :).

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I thought if it ran windows 7 it could be upgraded
Nope, I have two HP laptops that will not upgrade (not even to Windows 8) but both run Windows 7 perfectly fine.
As Ian points out, neither of my two laptops support PAE, NX, and SSE2

Reaction score
The model number is PSC08A03R01F it is a Toshiba satellite C650 and has a Pentium duel core T4500 2.3 Ghz the error came when I clicked on the windows 10 upgrade symble on the task bar

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
From your link it seems possible but according to the Toshiba web site my model is not supported thank you for your help

Ask a Question