Change Router to 2.4GHZ

RBC

Reaction score
I have an ethernet connection on my desktop, which runs on Windows 10. How do I change my router from 5.0ghz to 2.4ghz? Microsoft site says to just enter my IP address in the URL field. Result is "Hmm, can't get to that page" (probably because it's a private network). Any other process to do this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What IP address are you using in your attempt to access your router's configuration page(s)?
Generally it should be your default gateway address.
The inside edge of your router.

RBC

Reaction score
Microsoft told another user "Enter the IP address 192.168.0.1 in your Internet browser." Tried my IP address, and got the error message.

Underside of my Linksys router contains a serial#, model#, MAC address, wireless network#, and wireless password.

On my desktop (ethernet connection) under Settings / Ethernet/ Properties , there's an IPV4 address also starting with 192.

There's a different IPv4 address on my laptop which uses wifi.

Confused...what IP address do I use, and how do I enter it to get to edit my router speed?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
just open a command prompt and type
ipconfig
hit enter
the IP address in the list next to Default Gateway, should be the IP address of the inside edge of your router.

All node IP addresses must be different (unique), but.....
Should be on the same subnet determined by the subnet mask.

Typically on a private reserved IP network like 192.168.1.0 with a subnet mask of 2555.255.255.0 you'll have an addressing range of
192.168.1.1 through and including 192.168.1.254 (192.169.1.0 is the network address and 192.168.1.255 is the broadcast address and neither are used practically in the schema.)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I have Spectrum....and the CMD shows mine as 192.168.1.1

I input that into my browser and it comes up as not safe, not certified. WTF.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have Spectrum....and the CMD show mine as 192.168.1.1

I input that into my browser and it comes up as not safe, not certified. WTF.
Mine is the same. 192.168.1.1. Probably coming up as not safe because the browser doesn't see it as a secure https connection. In chrome mine comes up as not secure.

Reaction score
Microsoft told another user "Enter the IP address 192.168.0.1 in your Internet browser." Tried my IP address, and got the error message.

Underside of my Linksys router contains a serial#, model#, MAC address, wireless network#, and wireless password.

On my desktop (ethernet connection) under Settings / Ethernet/ Properties , there's an IPV4 address also starting with 192.

There's a different IPv4 address on my laptop which uses wifi.

Confused...what IP address do I use, and how do I enter it to get to edit my router speed?
Go to the linksys website and find your exact model. There should be a manual you can download. You'll need the default address, username and password to get in to the routers menu.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Mine is the same. 192.168.1.1. Probably coming up as not safe because the browser doesn't see it as a secure https connection. In chrome mine comes up as not secure.
So FF, Chrome and Edge Chromium all come up as unsafe. What browser should I use?

Reaction score
So FF, Chrome and Edge Chromium all come up as unsafe. What browser should I use?
Doesn't matter what browser you use, they're all going to give you that same warning anytime you try to connect to a site that is HTTP and not HTTPS - it's basically a dumbed-down version of "this site does not encrypt its connection and therefore your login and any other info is sent as plain text."

You can disregard this warning when accessing your router. Maybe there's a firmware upgrade that will enable HTTPS.

Reaction score
Yeah, you can use whatever browser you want. You're accessing an ip address on your own network.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Damn the torpedoes.....hate having to jump through hoops just to access my router. You'd think a 100 billion a year company would at least get the http - https sorted on their end.

On my end....going through a move and TWC being bought out...I have had nothing but issues. My net works great....just accessing my account online is a no go. I have to make a phone call and all I get is "we're working on it" line.

Ask a Question