SOLVED Change taskbar preview size?

Reaction score
I'm currently on version 1703, is it possible to change those little thumbnails for each opened program?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi dfg555,

Those previews of active applications on your Taskbar are called Taskbar Thumbnails.

You can modify the Registry by adding two REG_DWORD (32-bit) Values:
  • MinThumbSizePx
  • MaxThumbSizePx

These two values need to be added to the following location:
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband

Once added their Data value > Decimal needs to be modified. The value you enter represents pixels, and technically is best when both DWORD values share the same pixel size, but you can have differing Data values if you wish.

After modifying the two DWORD values and closing the application used to modify then [ e.g. Registry Editor, or Administrator: Command Prompt, or Administrator: Windows PowerShell prompt ] you need to either:
  • Sign-out, then Sign-in for change to take effect, or
  • Right-click on Taskbar > select Task Manager > Scroll to bottom of window > Right-click on Windows Explorer and select Restart, which will cause the screen to momentarily flash/darken. Close the Task Manager when done.

Sample image of default status: 200 px x 200 px

sample1.png

Here is how to make these modifications using an Administrator: Command Prompt

In this example I'll increase the size to 600 pixels
  • Press Windows key + S together
  • In the Search/Cortana field type command
  • In the search results right-click on Command Prompt & select Run as administrator
  • Click Yes to the UAC prompt
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband" /v MinThumbSizePx /t REG_DWORD /d 600 /f

Press Enter key

Next, type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband" /v MaxThumbSizePx /t REG_DWORD /d 600 /f

Press Enter key

Sample image

sample2.png

Type exit then press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt

Your Registry has now been modifed

sample3.png
  • For these modifications to take affect you now need to do one of the following:
    • Left-click on Start > then right-click the Account icon and select Sign out
sample4.png

After signing out, just Sign-in again and changes will be ready.​
  • Or you can right-click on Taskbar then select Task Manager
  • Now scroll to bottom of Task Manager window
  • Right-click on Windows Explorer and select Restart
sample5.png

Note: The screen will darken/flash. This is normal!
  • When done. close the Task Manager and changes will be ready.

Sample image of status now the modifcations have been made and set to 600 px x 600 px

sample6.png

Notes:

You can set the size to whatever you like. I just used 600 pixels as an example.

To reverse these modifcations, in an Administrator: Command Prompt you can do one following:

Option One
  • Type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband" /v MinThumbSizePx /f

Press Enter key

Code:
REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband" /v MaxThumbSizePx /f

Press Enter key

Type Exit and press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt

Now either sign out, then sign in again, or restart Windows Explorer.

Option Two
Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband" /v MinThumbSizePx /t REG_DWORD /d 200 /f

Press Enter key

Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband" /v MaxThumbSizePx /t REG_DWORD /d 200 /f

Press Enter key

If all this seems a little much, I'd be happy to post some REG files you can merge to make the change, and/or reverse the change. If you'd like me to do that just let me know the pixel size you are after as I am assuming 600 pixels (as used in example) is not what you want.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi dfg555,

Those previews of active applications on your Taskbar are called Taskbar Thumbnails.

You can modify the Registry by adding two REG_DWORD (32-bit) Values:
  • MinThumbSizePx
  • MaxThumbSizePx

These two values need to be added to the following location:
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband

Once added their Data value > Decimal needs to be modified. The value you enter represents pixels, and technically is best when both DWORD values share the same pixel size, but you can have differing Data values if you wish.

After modifying the two DWORD values and closing the application used to modify then [ e.g. Registry Editor, or Administrator: Command Prompt, or Administrator: Windows PowerShell prompt ] you need to either:
  • Sign-out, then Sign-in for change to take effect, or
  • Right-click on Taskbar > select Task Manager > Scroll to bottom of window > Right-click on Windows Explorer and select Restart, which will cause the screen to momentarily flash/darken. Close the Task Manager when done.

Sample image of default status: 200 px x 200 px

View attachment 6123

Here is how to make these modifications using an Administrator: Command Prompt

In this example I'll increase the size to 600 pixels
  • Press Windows key + S together
  • In the Search/Cortana field type command
  • In the search results right-click on Command Prompt & select Run as administrator
  • Click Yes to the UAC prompt
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband" /v MinThumbSizePx /t REG_DWORD /d 600 /f

Press Enter key

Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband" /v MaxThumbSizePx /t REG_DWORD /d 600 /f

Press Enter key

Sample image

View attachment 6117

Your Registry has now been modifed

View attachment 6118
  • For these modifications to take affect you now need to do one of the following:
    • Left-click on Start > then right-click the Account icon and select Sign out
View attachment 6119

After signing out, just Sign-in again and changes will be ready.​
  • Or you can right-click on Taskbar then select Task Manager
  • Now scroll to bottom of Task Manager window
  • Right-click on Windows Explorer and select Restart
View attachment 6120

Note: The screen will darken/flash. This is normal!
  • When done. close the Task Manager and changes will be ready.

Sample image of status now the modifcations have been made and set to 600 px x 600 px

View attachment 6122

Notes:

You can set the size to whatever you like. I just used 600 pixels as an example.

To reverse these modifcations, in an Administrator: Command Prompt you can do one following:

Option One
Code:
REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband" /v MinThumbSizePx /f

Press Enter key

Code:
REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband" /v MaxThumbSizePx /f

Press Enter key

Type Exit and press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt

Option Two
Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband" /v MinThumbSizePx /t REG_DWORD /d 200 /f

Press Enter key

Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband" /v MaxThumbSizePx /t REG_DWORD /d 200 /f

Press Enter key

If all this seems a little much, I'd be happy to post some REG files you can merge to make the change, and/or reverse the change. If you'd like me to do that just let me know the pixel size you are after as I am assuming 600 pixels (as used in example) is not what you want.

Regards,

Regedit32
Thank you for this.

Regedit32

Reaction score
You're Welcome.

If you have any issues let me know. The instructions given also work in the latest prerelease Insider Editions of Windows 10 OS Build, 16215.1000, so assuming this continues should you choose to Upgrade in the Fall (Autumn) to Microsoft's next major Windows 10 service, any modifications you make now to the Registry will be kept and continue to run.

Ask a Question