Command Prompt Commands

Reaction score
I have been unable to find a reference to describe all of the current commands supported by the Windows 10 Command Prompt. Is there someplace that this exists?

When trying to recover from a system crash the old commands to create a bootable hard drive to restore to are not there as far as I can tell, I found the DiskPart command and all of the supported commands for that on line but am struggling to understand what all is in the new Command Prompt.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
As far as I am aware, and I will not be offended if corrected, there are no changes to commands. But I am thinking that you may have enabled the Shell command as a replacement for the command prompt?

If so, have a look at my at my attached.

There are one or two new options in the properties, but the most useful is that you can now copy and paste, without the usual hack.

Attachments

• Shell Command.pdf
    305.9 KB · Views: 700
Reaction score
thanks davehc, the one that I'm looking for is what is provided with the recovery disk as Command Prompt. Much like the old DOS commands.
upload_2015-12-10_9-43-34.png

I can not find a guide anywhere.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is no guide, as such anywhere that I know of.
That is because the intricacies of the individual commands are so varied that all the possible examples would be a book and not a guide.
You best bet would be to know in advance what your possible use need(s) might be and google for examples.
At the command prompt you can simply type the word
help
hit enter
and then if you wish to see the command line arguments simply type a command, like attrib and follow that with a space and /? for a list of possible switches which may themselves also use additional switches.

I just Googled
command prompt for dummies
and got 112,000 results... perhaps something there may help you generally or specifically.

Ask a Question