Command prompt- Ctrl+f or Ctrl+b not working

Reaction score
Hi,
I am setting up a software which uses cmd for that setup where I select options using numbers.
At one option there are many options and message appears that use "Ctrl-f Scroll Forward, Ctrl-b Scroll Backward."
But when I use these its not working. When I use Ctrl-f or Ctrl-b, it comes like below:
Ctrl-f Scroll Forward, Ctrl-b Scroll Backward.^F
Ctrl-f Scroll Forward, Ctrl-b Scroll Backward.^B.

My cmd setting are attached.

Please let me know how to solve this problem.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,018
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 971

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tushar,

Welcome to the forum.

The Ctrl f, or Ctrl b key combinations will scroll one page forwards or backwards in a Unix Shell.

The Windows operation system and Command Prompt do not work the same way.

If you are wanting to scroll up or down a Command Console in Windows, then:
  • Scroll Up = Ctrl + Up Arrow
  • Scroll Down = Ctrl + Down Arrow

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

Thanks for reply. But I am not trying to scroll in command prompt. As you can see in snap of cmd,
Ctrl+f and Ctrl+b need to move forward and backward in that list(There are more than 16 options) and to access more options I need to use Ctrl+f and Ctrl+b but thats not working. Please refer to snap of cmd. Also I am attaching one more snap for more illustration.

Also in 3rd snap "Ctrl-a Accept and Continue, Ctrl-x Exit Screen" not working. instead for Ctrl+a its working as "Select All".

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-26_20-34-33.png
    upload_2016-8-26_20-34-33.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 870
  • upload_2016-8-26_20-34-45.png
    upload_2016-8-26_20-34-45.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 860
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 885

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tushar,

I think in that case the issue you are experiencing is because of the new default shortcut keys Windows 10 introduced for the Command Prompt Console.

These are as follows:
  • Ctrl + V or Shift + Insert will paste text from clipboard at the cursor location
  • Ctrl + C or Ctrl + Insert will copy selected text into the clipboard
  • Ctrl + A will select all text in a single line if text exists, or if the cursor location is empty will sell all text in the entire command prompt window.
  • Shift + Left Arrow will now move the cursor one space to left and select text
  • Shift + Right Arrow will now move the cursor one space to right and select text
  • Shift + Up Arrow will now move cursor up one line and select text
  • Shift + Down Arrow will now move cursor down one line and select text
  • Ctrl + Shift + Left Arrow will now move cursor to left one word selecting text
  • Ctrl + Shift + Right Arrow will now move cursor to right one word select text
  • Shift + Home will now move cursor to beginning of line selecting text
  • Shift + End will now move cursor to end of line selecting text
  • Shift + Page Up will now move cursor up the screen selecting text
  • Shift + Page Down will now move cursor down the screen selecting text
  • Ctrl + Shift + Home will now move cursor to the beginning of screen buffer select all text
  • Ctrl + Shift + End will now move cursor to the end of screen buffer selecting all text
  • Ctrl + Up Arrow will move one line up the console (i.e Scrolling up)
  • Ctrl + Down Arrow will move one line down the console (i.e. Scrolling down)
  • Ctrl + Page Up will move one full page up console history
  • Ctrl + Page Down will move one full page down console history
  • Ctrl + M will turn on Mark Mode. This allows you to select text with mouse cursor which you can copy to clipboard by pressing Ctrl + C
  • Ctrl + F will open the Find dialog which allows you to search for something inside the console
  • Alt + F4 will close the command prompt window

When you left-click the Command Prompt icon in top left of Command Prompt's toolbar and select Properties if the box next to Enable Ctrl key shortcuts is checked all of the above commands become activated.

Perhaps in your case if you remove that check mark, your software's shortcuts will work.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedits,

when I remove check mark from Enable Ctrl key shortcuts, then also its not working. With this setting it comes like below:
Ctrl-f Scroll Forward, Ctrl-b Scroll Backward.^F
Ctrl-f Scroll Forward, Ctrl-b Scroll Backward.^B.

Anyways I am completed setup using different method now. Still if you found a way to solve it please post.

Regards,
Tushar

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tushar,

The suggestion to un-check that box was really just a thought per se, as in theory it would disable the shortcut keys reserved for the Command Prompt window. It was worth trying anyway.

The only other way I can think of off hand would be to manually override all the keyboard character sets within the Registry, but that would be a very laborious task and if this software you are creating is intended for use on other peoples computers they would need to replicate this task, or you'd have to encode an automated change into your installer.

If you've found a different solution that is working you are probably best to stick with that for now.

Ask a Question