SOLVED Computer administrator?

Reaction score
In the past, I moved the folder "Pictures" to a new location on Drive D. Today I returned it to the "default" Location. All went well.

I tried to delete "D:\Pictures" folder and got the message,

"You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this folder"

1. I am logged in as an administrator
2. I successfully activated the net user administrator. That administrator gets the same message and cannot delete the folder.

What administrator account can delete the folder. How to I activate this administrator account?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Sounds to me like an ownership issue.

You may be able to resolve this using icacls in an elevated command prompt:
  1. Type cmd in your search bar
  2. From search results locate and right-click on Command Prompt then select Run as administrator
  3. When prompted by the User Account control, click Yes
  4. In the command prompt console type the following commands:

Note: Be sure to include the speech marks and enter the exact path and folder name for the directory you intend to delete!

The following commands assume D:\Pictures is the correct path and directory you wish to remove.

Type or copy & paste the following at the command prompt:

Code:
    takeown /F "D:\Pictures" /A /R /D Y

Press Enter key to execute

Type or copy & paste the following at the command prompt:

Code:
    icacls "D:\Pictures" /T /grant administrators:F

Type or copy & paste the following to command prompt:

Code:
    rmdir /s /q "D:\Pictures"

All going well the folder will now be removed. You can type exit and press enter key to close the command prompt.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I was not familiar with those commands. Unfortunately they did not work. Below is a copy of my effort:
I was logged in as an administrator and I did use the "Command prompt (Admin) window for the entries.
"
C:\WINDOWS\system32>takeown /F "D:\Pictures" /A /R /D Y
ERROR: Access is denied.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>icacls "D:\Pictures" /T /grant administrators:F
D:\Pictures: Access is denied.
Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files

C:\WINDOWS\system32>rmdir /s /q "D:\Pictures"
Access is denied.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

"

Reaction score
I switched users to another user with administrative privileges and ran your "takeown /F "D:\Pictures" /A /R /D Y "
command. As another user it allowed the action. I went back to my original user and simply deleted the Pictures folder.

Thank you. The problem is Solved

Regedit32

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you.

Sorry, I forgot to mention you may need to us an alternate account. You worked that out for yourself though, so all ended well.

Reaction score
Try these. They make a small adjustment to your registry, which opens the folder/file security for Admin access.
Obviously, the first one is what you need. After completion, you can run the second, as a security precaution, to reverse the procedure.

Just agree to the two questions when you use the fix.

Attachments

• Add Take Ownership to Context menu.reg
    824 bytes · Views: 168
  • Remove Take Ownership from Context Menu (Default).reg
    578 bytes · Views: 148
Reaction score
Sorry. Should have added. After applying the fix, you can right click any folder/File and it will, under most circumstances, offer you the option

Ask a Question