Conflicting reports from Defender

Reaction score
When I check my windows defender firewall, it shows I'm active in public networks and inactive in private networks?.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Those are 2 different networks. You have public and private, as we all do. I think be default, that it's set to public...mine is and I didn't change anything when I did a clean install.

That said, the public option as active, so when you are connected to public networks and makes you device undiscoverable. Where as the private network is just the opposite....you are discoverable but it's a trusted network....ie your home network.

I don't go anywhere and connect to public networks, but I use it as it's more secure....IMO. As I don't want any discoverability. That's just me.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I've eventually manage to change it at last..sometimes I find that when opera updates it always wants public..I change it to private with firewall on both. So I don't know if it's opera changing it or not.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
It shouldn't be changing it.....nothing should be changing it. If it is being changed.....my guess would be that your system is compromised ins some fashion. Whether it's been hacked or infected with a bug....ie Trojan, worm, malware or something else.

Reaction score
Checked for malware and trojans..nothing...when opera updates, defender shows a screen over the top showing me in public networks such as cafe's and airports etc.. I'll see if it stays in private this time.

Reaction score
It changed back to public network again today, had to change it to private.
What's 20H2?..it says download?

Last edited:

Ask a Question