Connect PCs Using a Crossover Ethernet Cable sort of working

Reaction score
I connect two PCs using crossover Ethernet cable, PC A is running Win 10, PC B is running Win 7. For some reason PC B is able to connect to PC A with no problems. PC A does see PC B in the network window, but none of the shared folders from PC B are showing up. I can open a Command prompt on PC A and ping the IP address of PC B and have no troubles getting a response. Ive tried turning off Windows Firewall on both PCs and still can't see PC B from PC A.

Found this as a possible solution
  1. Open Control Panel (by clicking on the Start button and typing in Control Panel, then click the App).

2. I use Classic View, in which case click on "Programs ansd Settings". If you use the standard view, I'm afraid you need to find it yourself. Fairly easy.

3. In the left panel, click on "Turn Windows features on or off".

4. If the Security dialog box appears asking for your OK, give it the OK.

5. The "Windows Features" dialog box appears.

6. Scroll down to "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" and tick the box. This installs the Samba support.
There was alreay a check in the box,

Any suggestions????

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can open a Command prompt on PC A and ping the IP address of PC B and have no troubles getting a response
Try pinging with the NetBIOS name and confirm that you can do so successfully.
Check the Computer Browser service as well as the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service in services.msc and confirm that they are both running.

Reaction score
If you right click on My Computer and select Properties, look at the computer domain and make sure they are the same. if they are not the same, click on Advanced System Settings and select the Computer Name tab.Then you can click on the change button to rename or change the domain or workgroup names.

They need to be the same, otherwise you may have problems.

Ask a Question