SOLVED Constant "Critical Error" on both of my desktop computers

Reaction score
I have upgraded both my Windows 8.1 and my Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 and have this "Critical Error" message appearing on both of them every week to 10 days.
This message " Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in" .. "Sign out now" does not work, we have seen from this Forum what you have to do to get your computer running again and it isn't "sign out now".
The fact that this problem keeps repeating itself, speaks to the fact there is obviously some operating system problem or software conflict.
The fact that Cortana doesn't even run on desktop computers makes you wonder why it is part of the error message.
I trust Microsoft will do something about this problem but when, I'm getting tired of repeatedly having to go through the procedure to remove this error message.

Reaction score
Thank you davidhk129 for your reply and for all the articles on the problem and removing it, reflecting the magnitude of the problem.
My concern is how to stop this problem from constantly recurring on a regular basis.
This problem requires a permanent fix, not just how to get your computer running again after getting this "Critical Error Message".

Reaction score
I don't have an answer to that.

Why don't you post the issue to Feedback app.
No guarantees MS people can or will do anything to fix it, but if we don't tell them, they won't know.

Reaction score
solos64 and Tammy Jo Leonard,
I am assuming that both your Windows 10s are activated. If they are not activated, do NOT use the suggestion below....................

1. Download the Media Creation Tool. Make sure you pick the correct bit version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Run the Tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC option. That will create a Win 10 ISO.
(You can burn it to a bootable media later on. This method will not need it ).

3. Right click at the ISO you have downloaded > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin.
This method allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
This method does not require product key.
Activation will be automatic.

Hopefully, your problem will go away after this.

Warning : the procedures will take hours to finish.

Reaction score
davidhk29 regarding Windows 10 activation, My windows 10 Pro is properly activated, but thanks for the thought.

Reaction score
davidhk29 regarding Windows 10 activation, My windows 10 Pro is properly activated, but thanks for the thought.

I am afraid you misunderstood why I asked about activation.

I post a suggestion to you but it is on condition that your Win 10 has been activated.
Since you said it is, then use my method posted in my last reply.

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly then in essence what you are suggesting is to reinstall Windows 10 on both of my computers.
I find it unlikely that there was an upgrade error on both my computers which were running two different operating systems and were upgraded at different times.
With hundreds and hundreds of Microsoft customers having the same problem, the answer is for them all to reinstall windows 10 ??? ... it would be easier if Microsoft just issued a fix since it is not an isolated problem.

Reaction score
The method I suggested is called in-place upgrade install. It is also known as Repair Install.
That is all I have to suggest to you.

Reaction score
Davidhk129.. Both the windows update and windows Store stopped loading.. Tried a system restore which didn't work because of a AV file. Now the Computer will open with the "Critical Error Message" with a empty Taskbar and a inoperable "start button". Tried to use Repair install DVD that I downloaded but it would not boot on restart and with the PC more or less frozen, I can't access the DVD to start the repair. The computer is a Dell 3847 mini tower and also have been unable to start it in safe mode. Any suggestions before I drop it off the Roof ?

Reaction score
It has been over a month and you still have the same unresolved issues ?

I'll suggest again................
Reinstall Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool.
Burn the ISO file to a bootable DVD or USB.
Power down your Dell computer > power back on and immediately tapping on the F2 key until you get to the Bios.
Set the Boot sequence to boot with CD/DVD or USB depending on which bootable media you will be using
insert the bootable media
Restart computer.
Installation will start.
When you come to Install Now window, there is also a Repair option. You could try that. However, with the problems you are having, I would do a Clean Install if I were you. The choice is yours.
If you choose to select Install Now, you will be asked for a product key > click the SKIP option and continue. When installation is completed, the system will get activated automatically (because your last Win 10 was activated.)

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
davidhk129... I appreciate your assistance as a result of which the computer is now back up and running.. Thank you.:D

Reaction score
Wonderful !

Now one last thing I'd like you to do.
Mark this thread as Solved. That way others with the similar situation will know there is an answer in this thread.
Thank you.

Ask a Question