Crash Frequency

Reaction score
I've been using Microsoft operating systems since the 1980's - from DOS to Windows 10, and I must say Windows 10 is by far the most frustrating operating system I've ever had. Reason? Without warning, the system advises the computer has experienced a problem, collects error info, and then reboots. Today - December 28, 2015, my computer has crashed about 8 times. What I don't understand is that the same errors - thread exceptions and driver pools - appeared when I first upgraded to 10 several months ago - yet the same errors are appearing today. Is anything being done to correct the errors? Also, in past operating systems, these errors would be collected "behind the scenes" and periodically reported - without rebooting the machine. (Sigh, I wish for the good old days with XP - the best operating system I had by far.)
Walter C

Reaction score
Try disabling Fast Boot in the BIOS. It caused similar issues for me but at start up. Worth a try. I think I recall another solution is to start in safe mode and load programs slowly untill the problem rears its ugly head and then you will know what is causing the problem Something else to try is to unplug your devices one at a time to see if they could be the cause of the problem.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Walter C and welcome to the forums.
First make sure your machine is configured properly to facilitate the collection of .dmp files.
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.
After you've managed to collect a few .dmp files in the C:\Windows\minidump folder, copy the .dmp files to a new folder on your desktop, zip it up and attach it to your next post.
Hopefully someone will be able to take a look and perhaps make a suggestion as to what might be going on with your system.

Reaction score
Try disabling Fast Boot in the BIOS. It caused similar issues for me but at start up. Worth a try. I think I recall another solution is to start in safe mode and load programs slowly untill the problem rears its ugly head and then you will know what is causing the problem Something else to try is to unplug your devices one at a time to see if they could be the cause of the problem.
Thanks, Dan. I'll give that a try. Walter

Ask a Question