SOLVED Creators Update failed to install

Reaction score
Some months ago I got notice of 1709 update, but it presented problems and eventually reverted back to 1607 all by itself.

Now I find there have been four recent attempts to install the Feature Update to 1709, all failing with the message "Failed to install".

I can't find any more information on these failures.

My system is an HP Envy notebook 13-d053sa running Win10.

Can anybody advise me what to do? (Judging by other threads it looks like I might be better keeping 1607.)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

I can't say I am totally familiar with your particular Notebook, and as a result I cannot rule out the possibility there is some older hardware on the computer that simply is not compatible with the Fall Update.

Having said that, there was a period of time during the role out of the Fall Update where Microsoft experienced some Server issues which for some Users resulted in them receiving incomplete downloads of the files necessary to install the Fall Update, or if they received a complete download some of the files needed were corrupted and thus will result in a Failure to install. This affected Users attempting to get the Fall Update from the Windows Update Server directly, rather than those who chose to use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, to download an ISO copy of the software to install manually themselves.

You could consider doing that yourself if you have not all ready tried. Simply visit the following website to do this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

On that site choose the second option: Download tool now then run it and follow the prompts.

Alternately, if you were attempting to get the updates via Windows Update which uses the WSUS servers that had troubles delivering the files [ as I mentioned above ], then you can take some manual steps to reset the Windows Update Download Components, and the associates Windows Services and their support drivers.

This is a rather lengthy manual task, so after giving you the details on this, I'll post a much shorter way to attempt to resolve this without having to do the following steps [ just in case you'd like to try a shortcut. Just remember 'Little Red Riding Hood' - sometimes the short route is not the best choice ;) ]

The Long Manual Repair Option:
  • Press your Windows key + S together to give focus to your search field
  • In the search field type command
  • In the search results locate and right-click on Command Prompt & select Run as administrator
  • Click Yes when the User Account Control prompts you
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following commands:
Code:
net stop bits

Press Enter key to execute

Code:
net stop wuauserv

Code:
net stop appidsvc

Code:
net stop cryptsvc

Note: For each of the above four commands, after pressing Enter key, you will either see a message telling you the operation completed successfully, or it will mention the service was already stopped. Either response is normal.
  • Next, in the same Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"

(Make sure to include the speech marks in above command!)

• Next, in the same Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak

Code:
Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak

• Next, in the same Administrator: Command Prompt you need to enter two commands which will reset the security descriptors for both the BITS and Windows Updates Services. Type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)

Code:
sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)

• Now take a look at your command prompt. If it does not show C:\Windows\System32 then type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
cd /d %windir%\system32

• You will now need to register all of the BITS and Windows Update support files. There are several! to do this in the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following commands - one at a time! Press Enter key to execute each command before entering the next command!
  • regsvr32.exe atl.dll
  • regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
  • regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
  • regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
  • regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
  • regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
  • regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
  • regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll
  • regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
  • regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
  • regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll
  • regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
  • regsvr32.exe softpub.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll
  • regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll
  • regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll
  • regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
  • regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
  • regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
  • regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
  • regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
  • regsvr32.exe ole32.dll
  • regsvr32.exe shell32.dll
  • regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wups.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
  • regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
  • regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll
  • regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
  • regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
  • Now you need to reset your winsock. In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
netsh winsock reset

Press Enter key to execute​
  • Next you need to reset the proxy settings. In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
netsh winhttp reset proxy

Press Enter key to execute​
  • Now type Exit and press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt console.
  • Next, left-click on Start then left-click on the Settings cog to open the Windows Settings dialog
  • Select the Update & Security
  • Click on Advanced options then check one of the two choices on how updates are delivered to you.
  • Now in the same dialog click on Delivery optimization which is just below one of the two choices you selected how to receive your updates, and check the radio button next to your preferring option.
  • Close the Windows Settings dialog
  • Restart your notebook for all the changes to take full affect.

A quicker method [ but not guaranteed to help in your situation ]

Note: Using this quicker method, will result in the loss of history of your previous installed updates!
  • As in the longer method press your windows key + s to give focus to the search field
  • In the search field type command
  • In the search results locate and right-click on Command Prompt & select Run as administrator
  • Click Yes when the User Account Control prompts you
  • Now in the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
net stop bits

Code:
net stop wuauserv

Type exit and press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt console
  • Next open your File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows by choosing on left pane to click This PC then in main window click on C: and now select Windows
  • Now scroll down and right-click on SoftwareDistribution folder and select Delete
  • Close the File Explorer
  • Restart your Notebook to allow Windows to create a new SoftwareDistribution folder
  • Now try updating again.

Let us know how you go. If you still have troubles after trying the above then we'll need to post how you can defer further update attempts on your Notebook, as I am assuming you do not want to waste data downloading a 3GB+ installation file over and over.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
@Regedit32
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post such a comprehensive reply.
I will follow your instructions when I can face the challenge and get back to you with the results.
Andy.

Reaction score
@Regedit32
Yo da man!

Short reply:
problem fixed, thank you very much.

Long reply:
I probably misunderstood something here but your method#1 looked like it was for a clean install of Win10, so I side-lined that option.

Your method#2 looked very daunting so I side-lined that option too.

Your method#3 looked like there were no wolves lying in wait, so I pressed ahead with it.
When it completed successfully it told me that there were more updates available (I'm guessing that it had done the business for updating from 1607 to 1709, but now had to do the Fall Update for 1709), so I set it running again.

All told it took seventeen hours with sporadic activity on the WiFi and on the SSD, and CPU occupancy at a fairly steady 13%. Bottom line, job done. Thanks for your help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Fantastic news Andy, thanks for letting me know all is well now.

All the methods would work for you, but I posted a quicker one which you used successfully, mainly because that will work most the time, but occasionally will not help [which is why I posted the more rugged one first, that is guaranteed to fix the problem - albeit that it takes a long time to type in the commands manually ].

Perhaps what I should do is code a PowerShell Script that a User could simply right-click and select Run with Powershell and let it automatically do all the tasks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit...the minute you do that a cumulative update will change some part of the OS so it won't work. Murphy rules!

Ask a Question