SOLVED Deleting Windows Old Files

Reaction score
I attempted to delete the windows old files today seeing that everything with Windows 10 is running smooth.
It turned out to be quite a chore some file I had to delete from folder separately. I'm left with 3 file folders and 12GB of data that I cant delete. They are Program Files, Program Files(86) and Windows. I receive a message that informs me that I need "Trusted Installers Permission" Any assistance at deleting these files and freeing up an additional 12GB of HDD space would be appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the folder and choose properties.
Select the security tab
Click the advanced button
At the top Change Owner and make it your account that's the owner and check the box to include all child objects, subfolders and files
Then near the bottom click Change permissions
Disable inheritance when prompted choose convert
Then add button to add your user account explicitly with full control top checkbox
and then Replace all child object permissions checkbox so to cascade it down to subfolders and files.
That should do the trick.

Reaction score
Trouble Trouble, Trouble. I followed your instructions, however it took me several attempts and a couple of hours, which in reality should have taken 15-20 min.2 items in your instructions I had difficulty with
1 "Then near the bottom click Change permissions" That doesn't show on my PC
2 "Disable inheritance when prompted choose convert" disabling the inheritance, did just that, it disabled the inheritance changes when I went through The Windows Security of replacing explicitly defined permissions process? When I attempted to delete x:\Windows\ Windows.old it requested Administrator permission no matter what ownership (3) method I tried. Hidden Admin, Local PC Admin, User. All asked for different Admin permissions. I flipped and flopped but finally managed to delete the old fles. I think at the stage that worked I didn't click on "Disable inheritance" not exactly sure I tried so many combinations LOL.

Thanks again for your guidance and expertise. I'm thrilled that I actually reclaimed 33GB of disk real estate.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
I thought you must be referring to the insider version LOL. I had to take a couple of turns along the path, but I succeeded with your guidance.

Ask a Question