Desktop is black, taskbar is invisible on start up

Reaction score
When I boot up my computer and sign in to my account, my desktop wallpaper is black, desktop icons aren't there, and my taskbar isn't there. This issue started occurring about 1 month ago when I installed wallpaper engine from steam and hasn't changed since. It eventually comes back, loading startup apps such as Razer Synapse, but this is only after an hour or so. I have tried uninstalling wallpaper engine, disabling all tasks from starting up (bar windows defender and razer synapse), but it still persists. I have managed to get around this issue, pressing ctrl+shift+esc to open task manager, with which I can click 'open file location' from an app and I can navigate through file explorer, but I can't even press the windows key. It's really annoying, and I don't know how to fix it.

1629595837475.png
(Screenshot of my desktop)

Reaction score
If eventually you can reach the desktop & run programs then I would try an in-place repair:
Download the media creation tool, run this & choose to upgrade now.
This will install 21H1 if you’re not already running this & will repair any corrupt Windows files.

Ask a Question