Did Microsoft do something about their idiotic spyware?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm considering switching over to Windows 10 because in all honesty, I really did like it. What I absolutely hated was all the spyware and how you could not for the life of you TRULY turn all that bloaty $hit off. Now that it has been over a year since it's release has MS done anything to respond to all the complaints about the spyware?

Cheers and Thanks ;)

**Disclaimer, folks, PLEASE don't start telling me about all the spyware Google has in their Chrome browser and how we are already being spied on so why bother blah blah... I know ALL of that, I know even in windows 7 I'm being spied on.... Can we please stay on point and begin the discussion. I hope this doesn't sound rude. Everytime I've asked, this exact same answer is like a broken record repeating itself over and over again.

Reaction score
Pablootatawa I hear you; but, this forum is about Windows 10 issues. If you want to rant about Microsoft send them an email.

Reaction score
I'm not ranting. Perfectly happy win win 8.1 but I want to move on and I'm asking a simple question, thanks.

Reaction score
No MS do it there way. Still the same bloatware, unnecessary, and unwanted app updates.

T_J

Reaction score
I chose 'customize settings' when upgrading (free) from Windows 7. I turned off almost everything: auto connect to hotspots, send full error & diagnostic info to MS, Cortana, let apps use your advertising ID, Location, notifications & actions, etc. I believe I turned off all cloud storage also (music, photos).
My 2012 Dell desktop works perfect. I have 37 albums (438 mp3s) on my PC hard drive and USB hard drive and use Dell Stage to play them. I'm no computer expert, but I don't think my W10 PC is spying anymore on me than W7.
I like Windows 10, currently watching W10 Netflix app and typing this post. Sling TV W10 app works great also. I needed a Microsoft account and password to add apps; but chose not to use my Microsoft password for PC logon (for PC logon, I use user name and password that I made up). For Windows 10 updating, I turned off all network W10 updating; and only get updates from Microsoft.
Linux Mint might be a good choice for you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
[slight topic diversion]
I tried Linux Mint this week. It's OK as a Linux distribution but as a desktop environment, it leaves a lot to be desired. It has no decent email (I use Office 365 with Outlook 2016), connection to my Synology box is awful, it doesn't have a decent Cloudstation client, there is no software for my Garmin devices, I'm not sure what the equivalent to Visio is and the Teamviewer client is buggy. All of which work great with Windows 10.

So, I can put up with the slight spyware for a working desktop environment.

Alan

Reaction score
HA!! I'd gladly go Linux if I wasn't a gamer lol
Hey Pabloottawa,

I no longer use MS Windows except for Flight Simulator X which I don't need any internet connection for as I can create my own weather and any air traffic as needed.

As for migrating to another OS no reason not to if you are really fed up with MS. :mad:
Be aware you must be willing to learn a new OS and you will also have to forget some of your MS habits as they may not work the same on another OS. "Learning Curve". o_O

Also in this day and age of cloud technology nobody is invisible anymore via smart phone / PC internet / AWACS as Big Brother is watching and listening.

MS changing their ways ain't happening as MS already has at least 90% of the world using their OS because most end-users are scared to step outside of the box and try other alternatives.

I'm not a MS hater I just don't use MS online anymore.
I tried Windows 10 when it was released and other then the privacy intrusive information gathering it does I had no complaints with it.

The PoorGuy :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree with all you're saying. I think MS has created such a massive comfort zone with their operating systems that just through this alone they hold a very strong monopoly along with Apple.

My only gripe with windows 10 is their greed in wanting a piece of the adware pie and the demand this puts on throughput and unnecessary bandwidth usage which you and I pay for.

I know this isn't something anyone can eliminate because it's everywhere but I just want to know if there have been any improvements or discoveries made by the community that have really crippped the built in bloatware that comes with windows 10.

I know you can adjust the settings and what not, that's old news. Has anything new come out since the release of win10?

Reaction score
Hey Pabloottawa,

I no longer use MS Windows except for Flight Simulator X which I don't need .......

MS changing their ways ain't happening as MS already has at least 90% of the world using their OS because most end-users are scared to step outside of the box and try other alternatives.........

The PoorGuy :)
I seems to me that with 90% of the world using Windows, including hospitals, police, government, military (to some extent), business, universities, the service industry, social services, law etc. etc., all Microsoft or Putin need to do to bring the world to a shuddering halt is to trigger sleeping software in Windows (in the case of Microsoft) or hack users Windows and insert crashware (other agents) ,and the Western world would seize up. Not difficult.

T_J

Reaction score
I've used Windows computer controlled electronic equipment and Windows computers in offices at two industrial companies over a 27 year period. As an actual user, I observed zero 'seizing up'.

Reaction score
I'm no computer expert, but I don't think my W10 PC is spying anymore on me than W7.
You are right Windows 10 isn't spying on you anymore than Windows 7 or Windows 8.
The same privacy intrusive information seeking updates that are in Windows 10 are being downloaded and installed in Windows 7 and Windows 8.

All in all Windows 10 is a good OS and will serve most end-users well.
As I mentioned in an earlier post I have nothing against MS Windows I just choose to not use them anymore.

The PoorGuy :cool:

Reaction score
I seems to me that with 90% of the world using Windows, including hospitals, police, government, military (to some extent), business, universities, the service industry, social services, law etc. etc

and the Western world would seize up. Not difficult.
Were you talking about 90% of the world or just the western world. Judging by your first sentence, the whole world would be seizing not just the western world.

Reaction score
Imagine! "This is Major Tom to ground control, we the BSOD and the countdowns ON. :eek:

Reaction score
Were you talking about 90% of the world or just the western world. Judging by your first sentence, the whole world would be seizing not just the western world.
Yes, you are correct. Although the 10% not using Windows for hospitals etc. (eg. under-developed nations) would not be directly affected, the collapse of the Western world would affect every human on the planet. For example, under-developed countries could no longer trade with a collapsed West. Perhaps the native Amazonian tribes would survive.

Reaction score
I'm sorry! I didn't realize the western world consisted of 90% the world's population.

Was my sarcasm evident, or do I need to point that out as well? Try not to discriminate, and I will consider not being a dick next time.

Ask a Question