Disabled Microsoft Services, now locked out

Reaction score
I have a Dell All-in-one running Win 10, set up for the 4-digit PIN login.

Today, I tried to run the latest Win 10 update. It ran for hours, restarted a couple times, then hung totally up at 91% on one of the update passes. After about 4 hours, I searched on another computer and found that this hangup is happening a lot. The remedy was to go into msconfig and disable Microsoft services, run the update, then re-enable the services. So I did it.

Now I'm locked out with NO way back in. When I restarted the computer, it came to the login screen, said "something happened with your PIN, it isn't available right now, login with password". OK, Microsoft services disabled my PIN.

Trouble is, it won't accept my passwords either! (My wife and I both have Microsoft accounts, won't let me in with either.) Passwords are correct, double-checked them on other computer. I even changed my password on my other computer, won't accept the new one either. So, I'm assuming the Microsoft password service won't work.

I've tried all the tricks - restart into troubleshooting mode, tried to do a system restore, NOTHING will work without a password.

I'm only semi-computer literate, so please be kind. LOL. But I definitely need help!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The remedy was to go into msconfig and disable Microsoft services
There are literally dozens maybe a hundred or more "Microsoft Services"
Did you actually disable all of them?

Sorry but that needs to be our starting point.

IF the answer is YES.... all of them, then all I can think to do would be to boot from the Windows 10 installation media, choose the Repair your PC link on the second screen following the Language and Keyboard choice options and maneuver into the advanced trouble shooting options and attempt a Restore Point OR a Safe Mode Boot from Startup options, OR a go back to a previous build if that option is available.

This technique of booting from an external resource can often work more reliably when it is not dependent on the installed OS to boot.
Best of luck
AND
Let us know how things go as you proceed.

Reaction score
Appears I'm out of luck. My mistake was I missed the instruction to click "hide all Microsoft Services" and THEN click disable all, so, yeah, stupid me!

I have tried the troubleshooting options you mentioned, but of course they require my Microsoft password, which it then doesn't accept.

Reaction score
Try booting your machine with Windows 10 installation media
At the Install screen, click on "Repair" on the lower left.
Then Troubleshoot.
Advanced.
Command Prompt with Admin.
Select Command Prompt and type in the following:
bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot
If that gives an error, use:
bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have tried the troubleshooting options you mentioned, but of course they require my Microsoft password, which it then doesn't accept.
You tried my suggestion(s) when you've booted from external media and you were still asked for a password?
SORRY, I thought this method might get you past any password prompts.

While I suspect your problem may be more complex than a simple password issue there is a method I've used in the past which will allow you to enable the normally disabled / hidden Administrator account without a password that might help.
Follow the steps outlined here
It's generally simple and straight forward if you follow the step by step instructions, including how to undo your changes after you're done.
I've used it before and I know that it works however I've since moved on to a third party commercial product.

Reaction score
Did you try my suggestion which if done correctly does not require a password?

Reaction score
“While I suspect your problem may be more complex than a simple password”
I would have to agree with that!
Ihope the suggestions work, but I have to think, that, with all the services fisabled, he is looking at a fresh install

Reaction score
Apologies once again for my terrible spelling. - Trying to type with old fat fingers on my mobile!!!!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Doesnt work for me as I have the same problem.

Try booting your machine with Windows 10 installation media
At the Install screen, click on "Repair" on the lower left.
Then Troubleshoot.
Advanced.
Command Prompt with Admin.
Select Command Prompt and type in the following:
bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot
If that gives an error, use:
bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

Reaction score
If that didn’t work & you cannot access Windows via safe mode then a clean install is the only option.

Reaction score
I did the same mistake, safemode msconfig. Ups big mistake! Lucky I had an Acronis true image recovery backup, phuh! Well, I am back to local account, no more microsoft account!!

And yeah, I did try everything like bcdedit, command prompt etc. no luck! Gave up, and just recovered from backup!

Last edited:

Ask a Question