SOLVED disappearing Desktop!

Reaction score
I've just installed Win 10 on my laptop.Unlike 12 months ago, when it so severely trashed the laptop that I had to reinstall Win 7 from scratch, it seemed to go OK, and my programs like Office all work fine, including the Jump Lists.

However, my desktop icons have vanished (these contain all my short cuts, divided into Utilities, Games, etc. But they do still exist, because File Explorer shows them in "Desktop", and their contents look and work OK.

Also my Gadgets (I use 8GadgetsPack, which seems OK with Win 10) disappear, then reappear as if by magic when I start another program / app..

Any ideas? All help much appreciated!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
However, my desktop icons have vanished (these contain all my short cuts, divided into Utilities, Games, etc. But they do still exist, because File Explorer shows them in "Desktop", and their contents look and work OK.
Right click an empty area of the desktop.
From the context menu, choose "View" -> "Show desktop icons"

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I have already tried this, having read it on-line somewhere (maybe even here!), but there is absolutely no context menu! The desktop remains stubbornly empty, even on a right-click.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ctrl + Alt + Delete
Choose Task Manager
Processes tab
Scroll down near the bottom
Select Windows Explorer
Click the "Restart" button or just right click it and choose restart

Reaction score
I appreciate your posting the idea - but it didn't work! When first booting, and the desktop first appears, the icons and gadgets appear for about half a second and then vanish again. There's no right-click menu.

Reaction score
Now I think I've cracked it! After trawling through some other forums, I read it might be because Windows had set itself to Tablet Mode. That turned out to be the case (or I had done it myself by fiddling!). Having turned this off via the Notifications icon, all is back to normal.

I'll try it a couple more times, and if it stays fixed I'll mark this thread as Solved.

Thanks for your assistance!2

Ask a Question