Disc 100% tasks 0mbs

Reaction score
Hello. I did a search and each case was different and I am not the best (not worst neither) on computer jargon.

I am running windows 10 and everything was going fine. Then about 3 days ago after my laptop was on for about 30 minutes it came to a halt and i had to force turn off. This has been happening now every time i turn the comp on after about 10-30 minutes.

I opened task manager today before it happened and noticed that DISC is at 100% (all the other ones are quite low).
Looking down the list at all the tasks for the disc section and all are at 0mbs literally.

I have no idea why or what today. I am considering just reformatted to factory settings, but if its hardware I do not believe there will be any point as it will just happen again.

Any help would be great. Thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have a backup of all your critical data? Do you have a disk image of your current install?
It might be time to use the native Check Disk utility and see if it has anything to say about the OS partition.
Launch an elevated command prompt right click the Start Button (Windows Logo, bottom left of screen on taskbar) and select Command Prompt (Admin), and in the command prompt Windows type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter
answer Yes “Y” when prompted
hit enter
type exit
and reboot.
This will likely take a long time depending on the size of the disk and to some extent its’ contents, do not interrupt it. When complete check the log file in Event Viewer for results (Right click the start button again and select Event Viewer from the context menu) expand Windows Logs and highlight / select Application, click Action on the menu bar and select Find and type chkdsk and hit enter. Check near the bottom of the report for anything indicating KBs in bad sectors.

Reaction score
Try opening the Resource Monitor (resmon.exe) to see what the hard drive is doing... You can check certain processes and filter the output to narrow down possibilities.

Reaction score
Do you have a backup of all your critical data? Do you have a disk image of your current install?

Thank you for your suggestion and I will give this all a go. Thank you for doing via steps for me. I dont think I have a disk image? I just normally go into the settings and hit restore to factory settings. I only use this laptop to convert my movies/tv shows from the cd/blu ray etc into computer files, or legally (of course) download movies etc that i find. Basically its just a movie computer. All the programs can be re downloaded and the shows are on an external hard drive. I think i did a restore only a couple of months ago.

Try opening the Resource Monitor (resmon.exe) to see what the hard drive is doing... You can check certain processes and filter the output to narrow down possibilities.
Thank you Saltgrass I will give this a try the next time it occurs.

I went into properties and did a error checking and it I believe it found something as it said error fixed, and the second time it just said it was fine (i ran it twice). I have no idea what error if any. I then did a defrag and afterwards left the comp to do its thing with no issues (YAY)

I have restarted the computer and will see if it behaves, if not ill be able to check the processes. I will also do the chkdsk tomorrow morning before work to leave it on.

Ask a Question