Display Turning Off

Reaction score
Thank you David. I appreciate your help. Is the Moderator "Trouble" still looking at my posts. He is the one who got me into Task Manager. Maybe he has a further suggestion. Please see that he gets this message.

Yes. He won't abandon you.
He'll see that message. Just wait a bit.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you still in safe mode?
Do you still have task manager open.
IF so please use the Start Up tab and disable all the items listed there.
Afterwards please reboot your computer normally.

Reaction score
I did that and when I click on the start button I still get "Critical Error -Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in." Sign out now.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I did that and when I click on the start button I still get "Critical Error -Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in." Sign out now.
I want to make sure that I understand you accurately.
You are getting that same message in a normal mode boot AND in a safe mode boot?
There is not difference no matter how you boot your computer?

Reaction score
No - in normal mode I get "Critical Error your start menu is not working. We'll try to fix it when you sign in again" In safe mode the message is "you need a new app to open this ms-get started" and the only thing I can do there is click OK

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
After you click OK.....
Does your computer seem to work normally, while continuing in Safe Mode?

Reaction score
When I click OK nothing happens so I clicked the start button, the message disappeared but when left clicking the start button does not work. If I right click the start button that menu opens up. I did not try any of the menu items because I didn't know what would happen and I might be in a bigger mess. None of the items pinned to the task bar respond either. After I posted this message I went back and clicked on File Explorer (on the task bar) and it opened up my C drive and all files are accessible.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If the computer functions well enough to access
opened up my C drive and all files are accessible
Now would probably be a very good time to backup any critical data.

While in safe mode set your computer up for a Clean Boot by following the instructions here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Examples for 8 and 8.1 work for 10
After you've disabled everything in Startup and
All non-Microsoft services
restart your system like you would normally do and see if a clean boot provides any relief

Reaction score
Before I try this I would like to direct you to a post I just saw regarding the same issue I'm having. Yesterday LILAPEI posted 'I cannot left click the start menu" at 2:17pm and it is marked SOLVED Is that something I should try since it seemed to work?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
By all means, feel free to try anything you think might help you resolve your issue.
At this point, I'm not sure that there is any magic bullet and I can't seem to find the post you reference, but I would think practically anything might be worth some effort.
Let us know if it works.

Reaction score
Just to make things a little bit clearer here the title DISPLAY TURNING OFF is not what we are trying to fix right now. That is what we were trying to do when this new issue turned up. After doing the system restore for the display issue, my start button would not work. I was getting the CRITICAL ERROR - YOUR START BUTTON IS NOT WORKING message that others have gotten. That is what we are attempting to fix now.

Reaction score
OK, Back to the drawing board. I just tried David's suggestion to another person's post of doing the following things - sfc /scannow which resulted in response of "no integrity violation",
then a did "dsm /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth". When finished the start menu functioned twice. However, when I restarted the computer I was right back where I started with the CRITICAL ERROR message.
Since the problem we are working on now pertains to the start menu, is there any way to change the title to START MENU NOT WORKING while retaining the flow of posts as it now has nothing to do with the display. Maybe some others would have some input if they knew what the real topic was.

Lastly, should I now attempt Trouble's earlier post of a clean boot in safe mode if I can get back to safe mode?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Lastly, should I now attempt Trouble's earlier post of a clean boot in safe mode if I can get back to safe mode?
Sorry, yesterday was my birthday, so I spent the majority of it with family and friends and was not available generally.
Yes.
Use Safe Mode to Configure your machine to clean boot by disabling Start Up items and non-Microsoft services as per the article from Microsoft that I linked to earlier in this thread.

You should also consider using Safe Mode to create a new user on your computer to investigate as to whether or not the problem is unique to your particular user account.
Be sure to create the new user as a member of the local administrator's group (not a standard user) and see if rebooting the computer and logging in as the new user provides any relief to your issue.

Finally use Safe Mode to back up any and all critical data on your computer to an external resource in the event that you are unable to overcome this problem.
You may have to, at some point follow david's post here https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/display-turning-off.4193/#post-18144 and consider that reinstalling the Operating System might be your only option left.

The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

Reaction score
Happy Birthday! While you were enjoying your well deserved day, I spent a great deal of time reading through previous posts. It seems to me that this problem is far more prevalent than I knew and Microsoft is well aware of the issue. There appear to be thousands of people experiencing this same problem starting as far back as August. There have also been many, many suggested solutions none of which have provided any relief to users. Between you and David I have also tried several. What you are proposing I do now is far above my scope of ability. I'm kind of a novice at this stuff. Since nothing has worked so far I don't feel comfortable going forward until such time as Microsoft issues some kind of permanent fix. I sincerely appreciate the time you both put in on this matter. I found you both to be very knowledgeable . I will continue to follow the posts here and watch for a solution. Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thank you and yes....
You are correct, you are far from being alone with this particular problem.
From what I've read in various resources Microsoft was supposed to have addressed this particular issue in one of their cumulative updates that they have rolled out since Windows 10 was first made public.
I'm not positive that they have or if they have that everyone with this issue have been able to secure their computers in a satisfactory state where they are able to acquire said "cumulative update".
That's why I was hoping that a Clean Boot might allow you to catch up on any pending Windows 10 updates that might be out there.

We've had other threads....
Here's one https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/critical-error-start-menu-and-cortana-arent-working.2002/
Where some folks found that booting into safe mode and then after a bit rebooting normally, provided some temporary relief from the problem, but......
It would often return after some varied period of time.
Unfortunately that did not seem to help you at all.

I am hoping that very soon when Threshold 2 is release to the public (supposedly sometime in November) that this, as well as other issues will be resolved but, again.......
In your case, with a machine that is practically unusable it may be difficult if not impossible for you to obtain the update / upgrade.

Reaction score
Actually, my machine is still fairly useable. I can get around to my files because File Explorer still works. I just put some shortcuts back on my desktop that I couldn't reach through the Start Menu. So it's just like being back on Windows 7. Also, during this whole process, somewhere I did see that Microsoft updates have been installed through 9/17 so hopefully I'll be okay until help comes. Thanks again.

Ask a Question