Download Windows 10

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Later on today (1st October 2014), you'll be able to download the Windows 10 Preview. I'd strongly suggest running this in a virtual machine (perhaps using VirtualBox: https://www.virtualbox.org) or perhaps Dual-Booting.

From what I understand, this download link may be active from 6PM GMT today:

http://preview.windows.com/

Remember, if you do give it a go, please give some feedback on what you think of it as it will help MS make a better product in the end.

Reaction score
They are also available on the MSDN subscription download site. Quite fast.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The link is now live! I'm downloading now :).
Got it and burning to DVD as we speak. Will maybe do a thumb drive next time around.
Should be installing in about 5 minutes.

Reaction score
DVD install seems to work fine. Some delay after reaching the desktop accessing the start button as things appear to be happening in the background.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
All good here too - the start menu seems like the only glaringly obvious change so far, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the other changes work :).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Agreed. Seems efficient and stable.
Seems fast, even IE.
But, and not to be critical, it appears at least at this early stage to be a fancy version of Windows 8 (which is fine I guess).
Not sure what I was expecting.

Reaction score
Yeah, other than the start menu, not much else different. Runs well on my old compaq (sempron 3200+, 2gb ram, hd4670). The one thing I did notice is windows update downloads and install updates much quicker than 8/8.1.

Reaction score
I have been hunting around, and am, at the moment, inclined to agree. I cant find any new outstanding features - at least, not for my use. I had already compromised with the start menu and, as I only use my older software (no store apps) I already have windowed programs. At least, it is, so far, clean and should please the moaning pundits. That was probably the main intention of MS, anyway.
As a trouble free Windows 8 user, I am, at the moent, feeling it is a bit of a let down. I have it in a dual boot and cannot detect any performance improvement.either.

Reaction score
I have, with Windows 8, customised and now use, the modern screen as my start menu. I have elected to do this now, in Windows X

I am not a user of modern apps, and still run legacy software (all windowed, of course). But, could one of you guys tell me, if you do have a few of those apps installed, aren't they going to use up quite a bit of desktop real estate in the new start menu?

Reaction score
OK. I have answered my own question. I can right click and unpin those icons, and they are still available in the "All Apps" choice in the new start menu.
Nevertheless, I am aware that many users like to have shortcut icons on their desktops, but the option to pin them alongside the new start menu does seem very space wasting.

Reaction score
I just started a download when I bumbled around and downloaded the short EXE. After running what appears to be a pre-launcher to upgrading my main rig, I came to the conclusion that was not what I was looking for. I was asked to reboot to continue the installer, sheesh what did it do without telling first. I went back and finally found the ISO download links. Now to find out what damage has been done to my main rig by running the EXE.

Edit:
Good news, I hope. I've rebooted and can't tell if anything had been changed. At this point I don't know why I was asked to reboot and I don't care to risk further investigation on my main rig.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, I did the exact same thing and did this to prevent it from continuing to appear in Windows Update, as I could imagine that I'd end up doing a one-way upgrade by accident. I figured I was downloading an ISO downloader (clearly I was rushing and didn't read the small print!), not realising the consequences.

Reaction score
I have one puzzle..... the generic product key in the ISO download link.
Product key was not asked for during install.
Activation was automatic.
So, what the heck is the key used for ?

Reaction score
The question is being asked all over the other forums - without answer. I can only conclude it is for a particular situation which has not been generally encountered yet?? Otherwise it was something left over from the builds, which the MS internals were using to test its capability.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can only confirm that in my case.... while the key was not asked for at any point during the clean install on one computer nor on an upgrade install on a second computer, I've ran keyfinder and in both instances the product key associated with both installs is in fact the generic "public" product key that davidhk129 refers to in his post.
Kind of interesting, but not too.

Reaction score
If like Windows 7 the key will not be asked for, until just before launch. That way they know it will work for launch. Until then the key is probably built into the install, so that testers are not flooding the forums with install key questions.

Ask a Question