SOLVED Downloading .dll Files

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am searching for a .dll file to download, and need some assistance. Its been suggested that the reason the Personalization app in Settings isn't working properly is because its missing the lockdown.dll file. I'd like to test this theory, but need to find, download, and install (register) this .dll file to do so. Any sites / locations known to have Windows 10 .dll files for (free) safe downloading?

As Always,
Any & All Help Appreciated.
Regards,
Techie Bear

Reaction score
Do NOT download DLL files from DLL download sites in an attempt to replace your missing or corrupt DLL files.
There are several reasons why downloading a DLL file to solve a DLL error is a very bad idea, least of which is that it may not solve your problem.

Restart your computer. It's possible that the problem that's causing the DLL error is just temporary and a restart is all you need.

Restore the deleted DLL file from the Recycle Bin or recover the deleted DLL file with a free file recovery program like EaseUS Data Recovery. If you suspect that you've accidentally deleted the DLL file but you've since emptied the Recycle Bin, a file recovery program can help.

Reaction score
OK If you are running Insider then there is a fresh new build 14905.1000 which, although it has a couple of problems one of which being a ;problem in Settings.

This is possibly what you are suffering from

"The Settings app may crash on certain editions of Windows 10 when navigating to different settings pages due to a missing .dll file. We are working on getting this fixed soon."

Reaction score
Thank you to all who responded, and please forgive my tardiness in replying - another computer had demanded my attention. First off, I wasn't looking for a download site, but rather the specific .dll file that seems to be missing from the Insider builds. Secondly, I missed the Microsoft notice that Tim found concerning the latest Insider build 'problem'. Had I seen that, I wouldn't have started this thread!

So I'll mark this as solved, and wait for MS to fix the problem. And again, my thanks to all.
Regards,
Techie Bear

Ask a Question