SOLVED Dual boot Win 10 and Ubuntu question

Reaction score
First time I am contemplating such a move, and I know nothing about Ubuntu. A few years ago I experimented on Linus Mint and I removed it in a flash.

Question :
Will the partition that houses Ubuntu be in a different format ?
What I mean is, if I choose to remove Ubuntu, do I need to reformat the partition before I can extend the volume back to my main drive housing Win 10 ?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Will the partition that houses Ubuntu be in a different format ?
Yes
What I mean is, if I choose to remove Ubuntu, do I need to reformat the partition before I can extend the volume back to my main drive housing Win 10 ?
Yes but not really "reformat" just delete the partition and then extend into unallocated space.
And then you'll need to rebuild the boot loader as Grub will have usurped Windows Boot Manager.
And if you want to play with Linux I strongly recommend Mint MATE Rafaela 17.2 be sure to get the "MATE" version from here 32 or 64 bit.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Maybe boot it from a ThumbDrive and have a look before you decide.

Reaction score
Thank you.

The Ubuntu I have downloaded is 15.04 version.
It allows me to use the Try it option. That means all I have to do is insert the Ubuntu dvd and select try It option. I can then mess with it and when I am done, I will just remove the DVD and back to Windows 10.

Think I'll use this option instead of dual booting.
The only downside I was told is...... Ubuntu will run a little slower in the "Try It" option.

Reaction score
if you are going to run ubuntu i would suggest the uubuntu 14.04 LTS version as it is supported until 04/2019.
i am running ubuntu 14.04 LTS dual boot with windows 7. install the windows first and then ubuntu second as windows will only see another windows operating system. linux will see other operating systems and will install grub boot manager to boot into windows or linux. also if you are running a motherboard with the uefi boot type bios then you need to use 64 bit linux and also turn off in your bios the uefi feature as it will cause problems with your linux installation.
the ubuntu version that you have chosen 15.04 is not a long term supported version and is only supported for 9 months from the time of release.
i have not had any problems with my windows and ubuntu dual boot system.
as far as which linux distro to choose linux mint 17.2 rafaela is a good choice with a gui desktop similar to windows.
as far as ubuntu, unity is the standard desktop and needs lots of hardware to make it run smoothly where ubuntu mate is based on gnome 2 desktop and will run on just about anything.
if you are into eye candy then kubuntu 14.04 LTS is a awesome choice with kde desktop and requires lots of hardware resources to run it.

just thought i would add my input as i am a ubuntu 14.04 LTS user and enjoy using linux.

the poorguy

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It allows me to use the Try it option.
Most versions of Linux will support some type of Live Environment that will allow you to run it from a DVD or ThumbDrive.
I just personally prefer the MATE version of Linux Mint as it seems to be a bit more like Windows and is very customizable

Reaction score
Most versions of Linux will support some type of Live Environment that will allow you to run it from a DVD or ThumbDrive.
I just personally prefer the MATE version of Linux Mint as it seems to be a bit more like Windows and is very customizable

any linux version before installation should be tested and ran from live cd so that one can decide if that distro is a good choice for there own computing needs. linux desktops are all about ones own personal desktop choice and that is why there are so many different environments to choose.

the beauty of linux is the option to choose the desktop version. mate desktop is an excellent choice. i have run mint in the mate desktop and also the mint cinnamon desktop and to me they both resemble a windows type of desktop environment and both are very customizable.

Trouble i totally agree with you. i tried several distros before i chose the ones that i like and use. my choices linux mint 17.2 / ubuntu 14.04 / linux lite 2.2 all of them different desktop environments and all are LTS versions supported until 04 / 2019.

Reaction score
My prerogative is that in the event I decide to remove Ubuntu from dual boot setup, it will not become a hassle or even a difficulty.

Using 15.04 is good enough for me. If after 9 months of try-out I still cannot decide, then I should not have Ubuntu at all.
14.04 LTS has been downloaded for future reference.

adding..............
Also now downloading Mate Linux Mint

Thank you to both.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Question about LinuxMint.
I have downloaded Mint MATE Rafaela 17.2 and burn it to a DVD.
I was reading the user guide and I am confused.
http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/Cinnamon/english_17.2.pdf

excerpt:
Installation of Linux Mint
You can download the Linux Mint operating system for free. It comes as an ISO file
which you need to burn to a blank DVD. The liveDVD is then bootable and provides a
fully-functional operating system which you can try without affecting your PC. In
layman's terms, when you put Linux Mint on a DVD and place it into your computer, you
can try it out while leaving your current system intact.

Then as I read further, it says this which gets me confused...............
excerpt:
If you like what you see when running the liveDVD you can decide to install the system
to your hard drive. All the necessary tools (partitioning and installation tools) are present
on the DVD.
Download the ISO
Note: If you don't have a broadband connection, or if your Internet access is too slow you
can order the DVD from this web site: http://www.osdisc.com
Otherwise, you can visit the Linux Mint download page here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Then choose the edition you're interested in.

Haven't I already done that ? Why am I downloading ISO and burning DVD again ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure what your question is David?
You said you
downloaded Mint MATE Rafaela 17.2 and burn it to a DVD.
Then you linked me to a Cinnamon PDF.

If you have burned the ISO to a DVD it will work just like any other Live Distro.
You put it in your optical drive and evoke your boot menu or BIOS boot order accordingly and you should be good to go.

Reaction score
I was reading the user guide ( link provided ), and I came across the parts that confuse me.
Read my 2 exceprts. The 2 excerpts are from the same guide in the same page.

P.S. I did not know it was the wrong user guide.

Reaction score
ok download linux whatever distro you want to try as an iso. it should wind up in your downloads on whatever windows you are using. then you have to create a bootable dvd which you can run as a live cd and play with linux.
i prefer infra-recorder to create a bootable dvd. here is the link http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Data-CD-DVD-Burning/Infra-Recorder.shtml
you can also load it onto a blank thumb drive and then use unetbooten to create a bootable thumb drive. here is the link. https://unetbootin.github.io/

once you have created one of the bootable formats then you can boot into your pc and run it without install it just follow the messages and all should be fine. in live mood it will run slow as it is in virtual mode but it will let you test drive it.

Reaction score
how long have you been a linux user.[/QUOTE]

For me......................
Counting downloading LinuxMint Rafaela, asking questions, about 2 hours ?

This reply is posted while in LinuxMint.

Reaction score
cool so you are test driving it.

me for almost one year and have learn alot about it and enjoy using it.

Reaction score
How to increase brightness ?
Too dim for me.

Went to Power Management. The brightness is already at 100%, but it's still too dim.

Last edited:
Reaction score
you may not be able to until you install it and have a real linux driver so just turn up your brightness on your monitor is all that you can probably be able to do running it live mode.
don't quote me on that as it has been awhile for live mode for me.

Reaction score
Last question ..... maybe.
How do I exit linux ? Just pulling the DVD out ? Is there a more "sophisticated" method ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just use the quit button on the taskbar bottom left

Ask a Question