DVD drive not detected by Windows 10

Reaction score
Have you checked your Device Manger and Disk Manager?

Attach a screenshot if possible.

Try running devmgmt.msc and diskmgmt.msc

Post the screenshot.

Reaction score
Thank you I have run these two programmes but the DVD drive does not show, nor does it show This PC or Device Manager.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (admin)
type
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
hit enter
type
exit
reboot
Worked for me.

Reaction score
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (admin)
type
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
hit enter
type
exit
reboot
Worked for me.

I have the same issue and when I tried this I get "access denied". Any idea why I would not be able to add the subkey?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Access denied is a pretty specific message.
It would suggest that either your account is perhaps not a member of the local administrator's group or.....
That someone or something has set access permissions on the parent key (container) explicitly.
When I did it on my wife's computer, (she had one DVD Optical Drive showing up and one that was not) I didn't have any issues.
Have you inspected the permissions on that particular key?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0

NOTE: you are not actually adding a subkey, simply adding a data value dword for EnumDevice1

Reaction score
My PC detected my CD drive after following your instructions!
It worked for me. Problem Fixed , thanks.

Reaction score
I have the same issue and when I tried this I get "access denied". Any idea why I would not be able to add the subkey?
I have the same problem. CD is worked on windows media player but not DVD. I tried to go to command prompt (admin), it prompted me to c:\windows\system32> then I typed reg.exe it showed invalid. Please help. Thanks.

Bif

Reaction score
The OP might find PotPlayer a better choice.. which is becoming increasingly more popular and more stable than VLC..
Where as VLC is said to play "virtually" any video file PotPlayer WILL play every video format.it's worth a test drive..I for one am impressed as hell at this free player.

https://potplayer.daum.net/

Reaction score
The OP might find PotPlayer a better choice.. which is becoming increasingly more popular and more stable than VLC..
Where as VLC is said to play "virtually" any video file PotPlayer WILL play every video format.it's worth a test drive..I for one am impressed as hell at this free player.

https://potplayer.daum.net/
I agree but I have a small problem. How to make it the default. I can keep fussing with it but if you can supply a quick fix it would be appreciated

Bif

Reaction score
This be the method..

To make PotPlayer the default player, right click on the PotPlayer screen, choose Preferences (F5) --> Association.

On the screen, you will see options whether to associate PotPlayer with video files, audio files, or all files. Select as appropriate.

Add "Play with" to file context menu must be selected by default. If not, check the check box for it.

Click apply

Reaction score
This be the method..

To make PotPlayer the default player, right click on the PotPlayer screen, choose Preferences (F5) --> Association.

On the screen, you will see options whether to associate PotPlayer with video files, audio files, or all files. Select as appropriate.

Add "Play with" to file context menu must be selected by default. If not, check the check box for it.

Click apply
Thanks. The only thing I would add is to click the box "Open Control Panel" on the Association screen which enabled me to set defaults.

Ask a Question