DVD stopped working after installing Windows10

Reaction score
Having searched high and low for a solution to the above problem I found the following fix kindly posted by someone far more computer savvy than myself.

I regret I cannot give the credit to the original publisher as I cannot find the post again but I did write the fix down, so I am re-posting it here and hopefully it will work for others with the same problem.

It sorted my Matshita dvd-ram and also a Lite On portable drive for me.

Right-click the Start button > Command Prompt (Admin) and type

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

hit enter

Reboot computer

Good Luck I am delighted to have DVD capability again and thanks to the original poster.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is a pretty popular solution for your problem and is posted in a lot of different threads on this site and many other, so....
No telling where you might have spotted it.
Just glad to hear that it worked for you and thanks for sharing your experience.
Much appreciated and welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Having searched high and low for a solution to the above problem I found the following fix kindly posted by someone far more computer savvy than myself.

I regret I cannot give the credit to the original publisher as I cannot find the post again but I did write the fix down, so I am re-posting it here and hopefully it will work for others with the same problem.

It sorted my Matshita dvd-ram and also a Lite On portable drive for me.

Right-click the Start button > Command Prompt (Admin) and type

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

hit enter

Reboot computer

Good Luck I am delighted to have DVD capability again and thanks to the original poster.
It doesn't work for me. Maybe MS has changed things since this post. All I get is syntax error.

Reaction score
The last post was more than two years ago, so, possibly, quite a few items have changed?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
All I get is syntax error.
If that command is generating a syntax error than perhaps try copying and pasting it into an admin command prompt
Code:

Reaction score
I just had a quick look in my registry, and the entry may have changed, or is no longer required?

Do you have the latest updates installed?

Reaction score
Hi, copying that into admin command prompt didn't work, although it accepted the changes. NB. My DVD drive is F:\

Ask a Question