SOLVED Edge dosen't work under my user name

Reaction score
Edge doesn't work on my user account but works on my wife's account.
I click on the Edge icon and nothing comes up. I have Windows 10 64 bit Home edition.
Thanks for any and all help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IS the problem only with the Edge browser or are you having trouble with any of the other Universal Apps (store, weather, Cortana, calendar, mail, people, etc.)?
Are you using a Microsoft Account ID or are you using a local computer account?

Reaction score
Well that's probably because you profile is damaged. Each user has a profile in the C:\users\Account name folder. I had a similar issue and I created a new account and everything worked fine.

Reaction score
IS the problem only with the Edge browser or are you having trouble with any of the other Universal Apps (store, weather, Cortana, calendar, mail, people, etc.)?
Are you using a Microsoft Account ID or are you using a local computer account?

there doesn't seem to be a problem with the other apps.
I use IE 11 and with my local computer account.
I have win 10 pro on this computer

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As Jake B has indicated above, "Edge" like most if not all of the new Universal Apps are unique to a particular user account, so my guess is that your profile with respect to its' "Edge" files is the problem.
I am not a big fan of Edge so I'm no expert, but.....
I just tested this method, which basically blows away Edge and then reinstalls it and it seems to have worked for me.
In summary, I opened Edge and of course mine worked fine, so..... I browsed to the Edge folder in my profile and deleted everything I could, even going so far as to drill down into the one remaining AC folder and further deleting its' contents, until everything that could be deleted without any advanced steps like taking ownership and granting explicit permission, were gone. I then ran the PowerShell cmdlet to reinstall it and it seems to have worked fine. Not that I care, because I never use it and wouldn't actually notice if it was gone.
The steps I used are located here
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-to-reset-microsoft-edge-windows-10
Hope they work for you.

Reaction score
there doesn't seem to be a problem with the other apps.
I use IE 11 and with my local computer account.
I have win 10 pro on this computer

Yes the problem is with Windows 10 apps. IE 11 isn't a Windows 10 specific app. Windows 11 is supported of all Microsoft supported OS's and Edge is only supported on Windows 10.

Reaction score
If you log on with the built-in administrator account or a domain administrator account on a Windows 10 computer, you won’t be able to run Microsoft Edge.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good point and I believe that many of the new Universal Apps have a problem running under the hidden admin account.
Likewise I think if you bottom out your user account control settings you may experience similar problems with the Universal Apps

Reaction score
Well that's probably because you profile is damaged. Each user has a profile in the C:\users\Account name folder. I had a similar issue and I created a new account and everything worked fine.

I created a new account after I found out how to do it and everything works fine.

Reaction score
Edge doesn't work on my user account but works on my wife's account.
I click on the Edge icon and nothing comes up. I have Windows 10 64 bit Home edition.
Thanks for any and all help.

Even though you stated your problem has been resolved, I suggest you download Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome to your PC/notebook and use one of those instead of using Microsoft Edge.

Most computer geeks (including my former brother-in-law, which is an IT guy in Florida) claim that Microsoft Edge isn't any good and Firefox/Chrome are better.

But if you want to use "Microsoft Edge", that's your choice.

However, if you ever want to try Firefox, Firefox is great, also if your concerned about a web browser tracking everything you do on itself you won't have to worry about that with Firefox.

Google Chrome is actually currently the most popular web browser, however a lot of people don't like Chrome, because they are concerned about Google "tracking" everything you do within its web browser.

But despite Chrome's privacy concerns, Chrome has a lot of cool features called, "extensions", which Firefox, MS Edge and IE don't have.

I recommend giving Chrome and Firefox a try, but that's your decision to make if you want too.

Ask a Question