SOLVED Edge

Reaction score
EDGE I don't care for and I want Firefox as my browser how can I disable Edge so it is not my default browser? I don't want to remove it just keep it from using CPU time or working? I have read many comments that say if you don't actually keep it from running in the background it will use CPU power.

Reaction score
Download latest Firefox and when you start it it will ask if it should be your default browser.

However I am not sure that you can stop MS programs like Cortana from using Edge and some MS websites only work with IE11 and Edge and I am pretty sure that can't remove it.

I just checked with Task Manager and I don't see Edge in the background.

Reaction score
FireFox is and has been always been my Default browser.

Now with Win10 it did not seem to make any difference which browser I made the default, IE11, Google or FF. Edge came up all the time & I would have to cut or copy the URL into FF to use FF. With FF running if I went back to my e mail and clicked on a link Edge opened it. Also any time I opened an e mail and clicked on something in the e mail it would open in EDGE. Some people in other Forums ? this but when I would cut or copy anything from Edge it would take quite a bit of time to paste into Word. Never happened in 7. Plus the fact I couldn't get Edge off so I went back to Win 7, no real lag time while copying or pasting into Word with Win 7 as the OSP. I have read many comments from others on other Forums with the same comment. Now here is a Kicker, I was at my brothers last night and he did or should I say Microsoft upgraded his PC automatically as he didn't have his PC set to not download w/out permission. His PC which he bought from a local Computer shop is using Win10 and it does not default to Edge, when he opened an e mail and goes to a link, FF opens with the link. I asked him & he made no changes to the PC, or to Edge. The only diff between his PC and mine is he got the automatic upgrade to Win10 from MS. I did a Clean Install form a disc I made off the The Geek Newsletter website. Now why would his not default to Edge as many others have complained about& is what they don't like about Win10???? I did read on a forum that I cant find anymore how to fix this by doing a "Reg" change and slightly changing the name of EDGE.

Reaction score
I'm using Thunderbird 38.5.1 and he uses the Google G mail program. I use a g mail account but I don't like their
mail program to handle my e mail and I have used TB since it came out several years ago.

Reaction score
I should add, I don't get a chance to do anything by choice. When I open an e mail that has links in the body & I click on a link Up comes Edge, then if I click on any link in what just opened in edge it opens that in Edge & will jsut keep opening everything in Edge, I cant get out of edge other than closing it and manually opening FF or IE11, or Google then & only then will it stay inside the browser I'm using. To my understanding that is the way it works for most users, MS has made Edge the de-facto default browser.

Reaction score
Have you tried going to the Control Panel - Default Programs - "Set your Default programs."
Scroll down to the browser of your choice and select it as the default.

Reaction score
Actually why would you need to do that since you can go into Firefox or IE11 and pick them as the Default in Win 7 so why would MS make Edge the Default rather than let their customers choose which browser they want, oh maybe I just got it. But my oh why, what were they thinking of? If I sound cynical I'am, that is cause of my age.

Actually I didn't go into Control panel with Win10 & I can't now, I have reinstalled Win 7. I did find a way someone came up with that changes it, renames it but leaves it there to be renamed back & use again if you want to go back rather than a complete removal.
I'm looking for a way disable Edge if & when I reinstall Win 10.

Reaction score
It does seem that, not only in these circumstances, but with some other programs, whilst they offer, during installation, to be the default, this still needs to be done manually, after installation.
However, It has been my practise, since Edge was first introduced, to change it from the default. It has never, since, troubled me. because of this, I would see no useful purpose in either disabling or, if possible, removing it. Particularly the latter, as it is also the PDF reader, which means I do not need to install another third party program.
Yes, it is running in the background. I have no explanation as to why, in the task manager. it is linked in to usage of IE only. But, it is not using any resources. If not using IE, I don't see any indication that it is running in the background. Again, it does not bother me.
As you may recall, there was a similar controversy, with a lawsuit, brought by the Europeans, regarding the automatic use of IE as the default in Windows 7. This resulted in the extreme measure of having a separate OS release for European countries. Maybe, eventually, the same thing will happen with Edge.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm using Thunderbird 38.5.1 and he uses the Google G mail program. I use a g mail account but I don't like their
mail program to handle my e mail and I have used TB since it came out several years ago.
I use T'bird as you do and Chrome is my default browser and it all works. Click a link and up comes Chrome. I just rechecked. There is no Edge running anywhere on the machine.

Reaction score
On my brothers PC & he is not a PC fixer as he will ask me to fix it, he called me a few months ago and complained about now having Win10 installed. I'm sure he said yes to a box when he shouldn't have. I didn't come over and look at it until the other night.
I wanted to see how Win 10 was setup. His "Start Menu" area had a large box at the bottom left with the Start List inside the box and some apps. This was like he had merged the big box the apps are in to the left attached it to the Start List? Also Edge is not the Default Browser. It just downloaded that way, I don't understand that as I'm under the impression MS makes it the Default Browser period as many forums have people complaining about that very thing. I have found another site with very detailed instructions for a clean install and instructions on exactly how to burn the disc so I will redo it. I want that disc for future use if needed after they stop the free download in case they do. I have also found a few ways to get Edge out of the way also so that becomes a mute issue. Anyway I think I have the info I need to do load Win 10 again.

Ask a Question