Edit or modify a Start Menu Parent Tile Group Child Tile Group.

Reaction score
Firstly, I will attempt to explain what I am asking because the noun "group" is often used to describe two situations:

① The first "tile group" is a collection of tiles on the Start Menu created by dragging a tile onto the tile group area that is grouped under a title which is easily edited.
② The second "tile group" is a collection of tiles created by dragging one tile onto another tile. This creates a parent tile, like a folder, that contains child tiles. The child tiles can be displayed or not displayed underneath the parent tile by clicking on the parent tile. The parent tile can be resized, and the child tiles will appear within the parent tile.

My question is this:
Is there any way to edit, modify, or change the parent tile to create a label or name or change its colour? I can easily do this with child tiles, but not parent tiles. For instance, I would like to have a single situation ① with many situation ②'s eg. ① "Documents" → ② Text Editors & ② Microsoft Office 2019 & ② Mathematics & ② Document Viewers. Is there any way to do what I am (at least trying) to describe?

In simple language, I want to be able to create tile group headings and tile group subheadings.

Reaction score
I may have grasped your intention :rolleyes:

Perhaps you should tackle the problem in the Start menu itself. There you can rename: move etc.

You will need to UNhide system files in the view.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. I realised this morning that I could define a title when I create a parent folder with drag and drop. I did not notice it at the time. The title appears if the folder is open or closed. At least I can now quickly identify a particular icon group. Unfortunately, Windows 10 displays each child icon within a 42x42 px square, so anything other than an icon is a collage of cropped images.

I have changed the Start Menu folders to arrange things as I like since Windows 95. I am fiddling with tiles because I can put pictures in them, eg. make the logo the background and put smaller icons in the tile image to indicate different things eg. word length/instruction set (x86|x64), version, administrator privilege, server (GOG|steam|local optical disc install||server game|client game), command line parameters eg. which configuration file or encoding method or bit rate is being used etc.

Ask a Question