SOLVED EPSON R300 DRIVER

Reaction score
Have not been able to get a driver for the Epson stylus photo R300. According to Epson, the driver is automatically installed when the printer is connected, however, windows does not find the printer. I had no problems prior to upgrading. Any help will be appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Go to Control Panel -> Devices and Printers.
Right click any and all instances of that printer and choose remove.
Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features
Remove any associated Epson Software (driver packages and such) for that printer.
Unplug the USB cable from the Printer or the Computer, whichever is easiest to get to.
Reboot your Computer.
Make sure that the printer is on and in an error free state (doesn't need paper, ink, whatever).
Plug the USB cable back into whichever end you unplugged.
The printer should automatically be recognized and commence an install.
If you are prompted for a driver select Epson on the left column and then click the Windows Update Button
Give it some time, it takes a while to come back and populate a list of native driver support
Then again, click Epson on the left and scroll down to the Epson Stylus Photo 300 (M)..... not sure what the (M) actually means but that should do it.

Reaction score
Go to Control Panel -> Devices and Printers.
Right click any and all instances of that printer and choose remove.
Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features
Remove any associated Epson Software (driver packages and such) for that printer.
Unplug the USB cable from the Printer or the Computer, whichever is easiest to get to.
Reboot your Computer.
Make sure that the printer is on and in an error free state (doesn't need paper, ink, whatever).
Plug the USB cable back into whichever end you unplugged.
The printer should automatically be recognized and commence an install.
If you are prompted for a driver select Epson on the left column and then click the Windows Update Button
Give it some time, it takes a while to come back and populate a list of native driver support
Then again, click Epson on the left and scroll down to the Epson Stylus Photo 300 (M)..... not sure what the (M) actually means but that should do it.

Thankyou for your help, unfortunately none of this has worked. When printer is connected, I get the usual windows sound but windows states there is no driver installed. Troubleshooting does not resolve the issue either.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Then you have to install the driver, as I've described above.

Reaction score
Then you have to install the driver, as I've described above.

Hi, tried going through it all again with same result. I have contacted microsoft support and they are going to ring me NEXT WEDNESDAY, how quick is that. lol.

Thankyou for your help anyway.

Reaction score
Hi, I have exactly the same problem. I have done all the suggested fixes but no luck. It installs it as USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed).
Would like to know what Microsoft say.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If it is being installed as something that it is not you will need to change the driver that is being used.
If you go to Control Panel -> Devices and Printers
Right click the problem printer and choose "Printer Properties" from the approximate middle of the right click menu.
In the Printer Properties page under the General tab, click the button at the bottom that says "Change Properties"
Now select the "Advanced" tab and click the "New Driver" button.
Click the next button
Click the Windows Update button
Wait..........
When the list finally re-populates select Epson from the column on the left and then your printer from the column on the right.

Does that work or change anything for you??

Reaction score
If it is being installed as something that it is not you will need to change the driver that is being used.
Right click the problem printer and choose "Printer Properties" from the approximate middle of the right click menu.
In the Printer Properties page under the General tab, click the button at the bottom that says "Change Properties"
Now select the "Advanced" tab and click the "New Driver" button.
Click the next button
Click the Windows Update button
Wait..........
When the list finally re-populates select Epson from the column on the left and then your printer from the column on the right.

Does that work or change anything for you??

Hi,
right click menu does not give option to change properties.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hi,
right click menu does not give option to change properties.
So......
Right click the problem printer and choose "Printer Properties" from the approximate middle of the right click menu, does not produce this???

DevAndPrint.JPG

Reaction score
So......
Right click the problem printer and choose "Printer Properties" from the approximate middle of the right click menu, does not produce this???

Sorry to be a pest but does not produce this.

Reaction score
Same problem here tried all you've said & it tells me windows found a driver but encountered a problem trying to install it am well stumped

Reaction score
Same problem here tried all you've said & it tells me windows found a driver but encountered a problem trying to install it am well stumped
I know it's been a month but I had the same problem, it turned out to be the version of the driver windows was installing. When I chose the 2nd newest driver it installed fine and remaned the MFP printer to
"Epson Stylus Photo R300 (M) "

hth,

Reaction score
I have had this same problem with my Epson Stylus Photo R300 printer since I switched to Window 10. I got no help from Microsoft or Epson Tech Support. You give me hope, though, that this problem should be fixable.

I have gone through all of the steps to reconnect the printer and this latest suggestion. I have received the following message and do not know how to proceed:

"Please provide a printer INF that contains the core printer driver."
"Type the path where the file is located, and then type OK."

I don't know how to locate this information. Any suggestions?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
"Please provide a printer INF that contains the core printer driver."
"Type the path where the file is located, and then type OK."
Use Internet Explorer and go here
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=Epson Stylus Photo R300
The slightly larger of the two drivers available (4.7 MB) is for 64 bit versions of Windows, while the smaller (4.6 MB) is for 32 bit versions of Windows. Be sure to choose the correct version for your system architecture.
Download it put it in a new folder on your desktop.
That will provide a folder containing
AMD64-all-5098_a1b99bb764e2c49ac8170f9e96164a608254a9e5.cab
NOW
You need to install something like 7zip from here http://www.7-zip.org/
After you have that installed it will add a 7zip feature to your right click context menu.
Right click the cabinet file and select 7zip -> extract here
That will provide you the prnep00d.inf file that you will need to browse to when you are prompted with the message you indicate above.

Reaction score
Have not been able to get a driver for the Epson stylus photo R300. According to Epson, the driver is automatically installed when the printer is connected, however, windows does not find the printer. I had no problems prior to upgrading. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Sandoug,

I had the same problem and have found a solution from another forum:

Windows10 Control Panel
-> Open 'Devices and Printers'
-> Click 'Add a Printer', which is a button found at the top of the window
-> Click 'The printer that I want isn't listed', at the bottom of the window
-> Select 'Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings'
-> Select 'Use an existing port: USB0001 (Virtual printer port for USB)'
-> Select 'EPSON' in the left window and 'Epson Stylus Photo R300 (M)' in the right window
-> Select 'Use the driver that is currently installed (recommended)'
-> Chose a name for the printer

It should then appear on your printers and devices and work properly..!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Tom06 and welcome to the forum.
I'm glad to hear that you've found a solution that worked for you and thank you for sharing that information.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Reaction score
Hello Tom06

I used your solution and have successfully managed to get my cherished R300 working again!

I am most grateful to you.

Gambi53

Reaction score
Hi Sandoug,

I had the same problem and have found a solution from another forum:

Windows10 Control Panel
-> Open 'Devices and Printers'
-> Click 'Add a Printer', which is a button found at the top of the window
-> Click 'The printer that I want isn't listed', at the bottom of the window
-> Select 'Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings'
-> Select 'Use an existing port: USB0001 (Virtual printer port for USB)'
-> Select 'EPSON' in the left window and 'Epson Stylus Photo R300 (M)' in the right window
-> Select 'Use the driver that is currently installed (recommended)'
-> Chose a name for the printer

It should then appear on your printers and devices and work properly..!

Reaction score
Hello, Tom06
Thank you so much for the instructions. It works!!!
OK, it is unable to retrieve ink levels, but this is minor, because I am able to print.
Thanks again

Ask a Question