Epson Stylus Printer Photo R300 is in an Error State after installing Windows 10

Reaction score
I have reinstalled the printer using the following instructions and the printer is installed but says it is in an Error State when I try to print.

Go to Control Panel -> Devices and Printers.
Right click any and all instances of that printer and choose remove.
Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features
Remove any associated Epson Software (driver packages and such) for that printer.
Unplug the USB cable from the Printer or the Computer, whichever is easiest to get to.
Reboot your Computer.
Make sure that the printer is on and in an error free state (doesn't need paper, ink, whatever).
Plug the USB cable back into whichever end you unplugged.
The printer should automatically be recognized and commence an install.
If you are prompted for a driver select Epson on the left column and then click the Windows Update Button
Give it some time, it takes a while to come back and populate a list of native driver support
Then again, click Epson on the left and scroll down to the Epson Stylus Photo 300 (M)..... not sure what the (M) actually means but that should do it.

Any other susggestions

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My apologies..... how dumb do I feel right now..... sorry.

Reaction score
Sally did you sort the problem. I have exactly the same issue and cannot get my printer to work. Crazy to buy a new one just because Windows was upgraded (and no I didn't ask for or what that upgrade!)

Reaction score
Sally did you sort the problem. I have exactly the same issue and cannot get my printer to work. Crazy to buy a new one just because Windows was upgraded (and no I didn't ask for or what that upgrade!)
me the same. my christmas completely ruined last 10 days because of same problem and microsoft just are passing me off to hewlett packard now because they cant find and locate the correct driver from epson. me same didnt want or need update and now i have non working printer.

Ask a Question