Erratic wireless keyboard

Reaction score
My logitech wireless keyboard has been behaving erratically for the last year or so. It is not about the connection, but key behavior (z suddenly becoming J, " becoming backspace, or --the latest-- typing correctly but from right to left). I have contacted logitech and followed every possible troubleshooting tip as far as software is concerned (I know it is not a hardware issue because wear and tear is not something that goes away and comes back multiple times). By erratic I mean that software suggestions such as reinstalling have proved effective for days, weeks and even months. Unfortunately, the last time I thought the problem was fixed it came back within minutes. Logitech has specifically suggested I contact Windows: "we already provided all the applicable troubleshooting steps for the device and still will not work, there is a probability that this can be a device driver issue since it works fine for a moment. At this point we suggest that you contact Windows technical support so that they can give you a compatible driver for the keyboard" Please advise! Thanks in advance,

Reaction score
The main issues I see with keyboards whether wired or wireless is things like cookie crumbs getting in them, use compressed air to blow out and tapping one end on a table to settle loose items away from the contacts under the keys. Have also seen lower-quality batteries cause issue with the wireless. One other thing that is less heard of is the use of rechargeable AA and AAA batteries, they provide only 1.25Volts power while the Alkaline provide 1.5Volts.

In general theory the power socket on Notebooks can be rather fragile, doesn't hold up well when bumped by things like pushing against a solid object, usually end up with a new motherboard but there are some where the socket can be replaced.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd be interested to see if the keyboard does the same thing on a different PC. How old is the keyboard, I guess it's out of warranty?

Reaction score
I have a Logitech wireless keyboard mouse combo, and it's the mouse that is wonky. I've tried it on 4 pcs and the left button will sometimes act like it's double clicked on a single click, can't drag and drop anything since it will open whatever is clicked on. Changed every possible setting , batteries, drivers, and the Logitech software, even rehomed it to a different usb receiver. Still flaky, so IMO it's the logitech combo that's defective, a waste of $40.

Reaction score
I'd be interested to see if the keyboard does the same thing on a different PC. How old is the keyboard, I guess it's out of warranty?
Yes, Ian, it is out of warranty. Sorry I took so long to answer, *some* notifications go to my spam folder (ah, Outlook!). One more piece to the puzzle: I stopped using it for a few days, then reinstalled and OF COURSE it worked... for a few more days. Just now, my Amazon Echo light blinked mysteriously (it was not a notification) and the keyboard went crazy again. Perhaps it's a case of War of the Bots... Will report after more trial and error, but thought I'd mention the new development.

Reaction score
I have a Logitech wireless keyboard mouse combo, and it's the mouse that is wonky. I've tried it on 4 pcs and the left button will sometimes act like it's double clicked on a single click, can't drag and drop anything since it will open whatever is clicked on. Changed every possible setting , batteries, drivers, and the Logitech software, even rehomed it to a different usb receiver. Still flaky, so IMO it's the logitech combo that's defective, a waste of $40.

WestFred~
As far as the "double click issue" .. I've had that on a few wireless and wired mice from different manufactures.. and if your comfortable taking the mouse apart ( which I have done) you CAN take it apart and clean out the inside with some compressed air and a q-tip with iso(rubbing) alcohol and get rid of any "gunk" that has accumulated in the innards of the mouse..

You can also(if your feeling really adventurous.. which I have also done) SLIGHTLY adjust ( on some models) the "play" and "kickback" between the mouse button and the actual mechanism/actuator.

Best of Luck.
~LoneWolf

Ask a Question