Ethernet connection

Reaction score
I am brand new to Windows 10. For the last 4 years I have been using Linux Mint, before that it was XP, NT, 98 etc. So I am not unfamiliar with Microsoft. But Windows 10 seems to be a different breed all together. I can a get the system to use the ethernet connection but is but there doesn't seem to be a place to save. And when I turn the machine of, and turn it back on I have to dance through the getting the ethernet connection back again, it wants to restart after five minutes. It also wants to use Dial-up I don't even have a phone that is antient technology. Though my ethernet connection is through a WiFi router I suppose I could I could use the wifi. But ethernet seems to be so much more dependable.

Reaction score
Ever since the first ethernet card was plugged into the first Windows for Workgroups PC I have found ethernet more reliable than WiFi..

What is the PC and what is the ethernet card and the router?

Reaction score
Most wifi connects through the router-

Try these:
1. Open the control panel, click the device manager - lcik the Netwotk adapters.
2. Right click your ethernet adapter, and selct Poeer management.
3.UNtick both items.
Next: Click your internet symbol (on the far right of the taskbar)
Right click the ethernet connection and make sure you have ticked Connect automatically.

Reaction score
I have managed to disable the WiFi and get rid of the broad-ban. I have yet to figure out how to disable the Dial-up, I don't even have that kind of phone anymore. Currently I am using an Ethernet connection. But every once and a while it looses the Ethernet connection and I have to jump through a blue screen window for 7 minutes whiles it reestablishes the Ethernet connection. I don't understand why it does this, do you?
On the other hand it may have done that, because I tried to use Microsoft Outlook as my email, which apparently doesn't use ethernet. So I downloaded and installed Thunderbird as my default email, and it works soooo much better. Why does Outlook have to be so complex?

Reaction score
It depends upon the type of computer and the Dial-Up Modem in it. If a Desktop I usually remove the Add-in card then uninstall the driver/s for it. If a Notebook/Laptop [usually older ones] it may require entering the BIOS setup and disable it [it's part of the motherboard].

Ask a Question