Excel Office 2007 Referance Operator Changed

Reaction score
Since installing windows 10, my exel reference operator has changed from comma to a semi colon. Why did this happen and how can I rectify this?

Reaction score
Are you talking about delimited text? Where a tab, comma, semi-colon, or ect... can be used to separate plain text into columns when imported/pasted to Excel.

I've heard a few stories of issues with Office after upgrading to Windows 10. The fix was to reinstall/repair the installation of Office.

Reaction score
No, this is in the formula use of reference for instance If(A2="",xx). it now became If(A2="";xx). The comma was replaced by a semi colon

Reaction score
Ah ok, I see. Try a repair install of Office 2007 and see if it corrects the issue.

Can't say that I have ever had this issue. That could be why I was confused. Sorry about that by the way. I was actually in Excel 2010 tonight making a few formulas. But then I did a clean install of Windows 10 after I upgraded, which could be why I'm not having any issues.

I'm curious as to why I'm thinking about OpenOffice and LibreOffice, when I look at that formula? It has been a long time and I could be wrong. But I'm thinking OpenOffice uses semi-colons instead of commas.

Ahh I was right, just looked it up. Now I'm wondering if there is a connection.
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Calc:_IF_function
"IF(A1>5; 100; "too small")"​

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It would seem to be an issues related to your geographical location (Region).
Perhaps with the upgrade the OS has suddenly became more regionally aware and as a consequence passed this along to Excel.
Not sure.... just something I found while looking for a potential solution to the issue.
http://excel.todaysummary.com/q_microsoft-excel_405450.html
I suppose the bottom line would be..... does the formula still render the desired results?

Reaction score
From bad to worse, did repair installation of office, no help, reinstalled office completely, no help and suddenly I get "cant insert object" on spread sheets for activex controls. Downloaded service pack3 for office 2007, deleted al .exd files but problem still exist with both semicolon and now also activex controls.

Reaction score
did a full update on office 2007, at least my activex control is back but the semicolon problem still exist. Seems I will have to live with it though working on different computers all the time makes windows 10 a pain in the but. Luckily I did not update the other computers to windows 10 and certainly would not recommend it to others.

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help but I just encountered software (Pinta last release was March this year) that wouldn't run unless I changed the way it was run in Windows 10.
  1. Normal loading it wouldn't run at all.
  2. Running in XP compatibility would run but had issues. Issues* of which I could compare to your issues.
  3. Opening properties for the app executable and making it "Run as Administrator" solved my problems.
I'm wondering if Office 2007 is old enough, it may need to be run in a special mode to function correctly.

*The issues I encountered with Pinta was control issues. I was having trouble getting the application to do what I wanted. Like changing colors. I would select a color but couldn't accept with mouse click. Moving the tool trays around would loose focus somehow and I would be locked out of continuing. Until I clicked the windows frame forcing a focus change, where I could then click another tool and then move it.

Ask a Question