Experiencing Complete Freeze with W10 Upgrade

Reaction score
I've got a Sony VAIO and it took a while for them to update all of their drivers, but they finally did in November. The update went pretty well and I've had some minor issues, but nothing ongoing... EXCEPT, about once a week, the system completely locks up. I think every time it's happened, I've been using Chrome, but I'm not certain. Anyway, a hard reboot fixes the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 64-bit and now have Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
EXCEPT, about once a week, the system completely locks up.
A problem that only happens once a week is going to be very difficult to diagnose / troubleshoot.
If you suspect that it has something to do with Chrome (possible, but I doubt it), why not uninstall Chrome and just use Internet Explorer for a week or so to test your hypothesis.

Reaction score
Oh! And when it happens, the fan usually starts running very high and won't stop - and when I check the event log, there's nothing unusual.

I could try Edge, but it still pisses me off that there's no native way to change where things download to on that browser.

Reaction score
If your fan is spinning up really fast just before it freezes, that's a sign your Laptop is overheating. The fans spin according to the cpu temperature. The hotter it gets, the faster the fan spins.

Reaction score
Hmmm... maybe I worded it wrong, it seems to spin up after it freezes. Like, I'll be doing something, it will freeze, and then the fan will spin into overdrive and not stop.

Reaction score
Okay - so interestingly, this has happened a couple times and when the computer reboots, it installs updates. So I'm wondering if there's something happening as it's downloading updates in the background. Thoughts?

Ask a Question